Which one is best ( xp or vista )

jamesdolen

yer pays yer money and yer takes yer pick.

Having upgraded to Vista recently I have no hesitation in saying it is by far the better OS if you have relatively modern peripherals and software. At present some manufacturers are dragging their feet and if you have an old printer or scanner - you may well find no drivers available. Sooner or later XP is going to be a fond memory as we all enjoy Vista.

The only software I ran into trouble with were Partition Magic, Acronis and my Motorola Phone Tools - all needed an upgrade but to date I have only bothered to upgrade Acronis. On a separate thread you might read that the latest version of Acronis is giving me problems which Acronis support are actively working on. It appears that certain combinations of hardware are giving it trouble and I am one of the unlucky ones

Office 2003, Paint Shop Pro 9, Nero 7, Diskeeper 11, CCleaner, AVG Anti Virus and Anti Spyware plus some other software I use all work fine.

If you do as Alan has and either buy a new computer, or seriously update an older but fast one with new hardware, Vista is probably fine. there is no way that I would update the operating system on an older computer, there are too many potential pitfalls. If you want a new machine with XP on it, why not do as I would do, and either use your local shop/computer builder, or build one yourself. That way you can have EXACTLY what you want on it, and not what a mass market manufacturer dictates that you must have.

Hi . Dollars wise sense which is worth getting , XP or Vista ? There is still some places that are selling new comps with xp which are cheaper then Vista

Thx

If you are proposing the purchase of a new computer, it is a no-brainer. Vista is the way to go and soon all new computers will be shipped with that operating system. If you do otherwise you will regret it.

Thos.