2nd Hard Drive Not Recognised

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nellie2

well if you go to control panel, add/remove programs, windows set up there isn't actually anything in the system tools called drive space.......but...... I do have drive converter ticked and w/backup.....grasping at straws I think

Hi again, I've just had an email from TBH1 listing the info from Partition Magic, as follows

disk2 - 39,200mb

Partition...........Type.........Size..........Used.......Unused.......Status...

....Pri/log

* ............... unallocated .77.78mb ..0.0 ..........0..............None ........Primary

* ............... type44 39,252 39,252......0.............. Active ........Primary

Now I have to be worried here, but it looks like the drive has lost it's formatting info. My advice now, would be to proceed with caution if you want to try and recover the data. Any modifications to this drive now, which don't work may just make it harder to recover the data without an expensive trip to a professional data recovery company.

I want to check some things with you TBH1, have you installed all your software to the c drive yet? I am asking because if you have just a base install of windows, I would suggest resizing the partition and trying to clone the d drive to it. You can then try to repair the cloned data. If that goes wrong, at least you will still have the original drive and at the very worst, all you would need to do, is reinstall windows again.

I am just going to check some magazine discs, but I think one of them recently gave away a copy of Drive Image.

I shall get back to you.

Mr. M.

my system right now is not much more than the 'bare-bones' w98se - -just email and dial-in settings - - - -so, ready for a gamble I guess.

Gonna try and get online via my old laptop so i don't have to keep loggin in and out of dos - - - you sure you ain't got anything better to do on a Saturday night ????

OK TBH1, I found the mag I was looking for (and before anyone comments, no not THAT sort of mag!! :rolleyes: ), but the bad news is it's not drive image on it, partition magic.

The next step is up to you TBH1, depends on how much you value your data. You can either wait untill someone else comes up with another suggestion, hang on til monday and I will run this prob past some guys at work and see if we can come up with another solution, wait another few days and I will post you a Knoppix bootable cd More info re Knoppix , or have a go at some repair options.

If you want to try a repair, I would unplug the current main drive first, then boot from your floppy and try fdisk /mbr

This with any luck will repair the master boot record on the drive and may make it readable again. If that fails try using Partition Magic (I will email you the one from cover disc to use instaed of the demo version you downloaded) to convert the drive to fat32. Or of course you could try and find the utility you used last week, and if it can read the drive, try to copy the files off that way.

The choice as they say is yours.

Good Luck. Mr. M.

Sorry had guests around till 11pm. :rolleyes:

We have moved on quite a bit. Yes the non dos disk seems to be unusual, especially after the hard drive has been functioning correctly.

Perhaps this may help, Ranish Partition Manager 2.38 , it's 56k and a free down load from here

http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/downloads/det...248-914828.html

It states

"Ranish Partition Manager is designed to create, delete, and resize partitions without losing the data on them. It formats FAT-16 and FAT-32 partitions. It also allows you to copy partitions and clone disks. Partition Manager comes with a boot manager, which allows you to install multiple operating systems on the same hard disk. "

I have never used this, as I prefer fdisk.

I have had a quick look at this through 98se.

It seems that if the disk can be seen in this programme, you may be able to work on it. It can convert the drive to fat16 or fat32 and has a host of other features. It also gives you the option to make a workable floppy so the drive can be amended in dos.

It would need someone proficient in Partition magic to advise.

I could never get away with it, so ditched it.

right, this is a LOT to take on board all at once, only nodded off for a minute too :D

I'm gonna try the fdisk/mbr bit tomorrow - - failing that Mr M, as long as I have a chance of recovering the data on there, I can wait as long as it takes mate.

Nobbin off to bed now, was up at the crack of dawn this morning - - -good night to you all - - - and a BIG thank you :)

What it apears to be saying is that the "C" drive is fine and active. Thats the pri 1 (unknown). The unknown because it has no lable, name.

Hard disk 2 "D" (39.252 gig) is seen but seems to have no filing system on it. This is how you would get a new drive prior to formating. I think. :huh:

Lets wait for other comments. ;)

Yep, I have to agree with Monkey here. The file system / format for this drive has deffo become corrupted. I think the only good news, is that it is still reporting that the drive's format, albeit corrupt, is still taking up the whole disc. So there is still hope for some data recovery.

Boris, do you have a copy of the disc you mentioned with drive image on it? We might need to email a copy to TBH1 to try and clone the disc before attempting repairs.

Right I'm off to work again, so I shall see how this develops later today.

Mr. M.

Yes - I do have the disc

- but the total install file(s) is 34MB and I don't have B/B. :(

If needed - best option would be for me to copy the disc and post it to TBH1 ?

Won't be back now until 7.30 ish tonight.

Have disconnected C drive, then ran fdisk /mbr on 2nd drive. Ran Disc Fitness utility - - and this time drive was 'quick tested' - - - duff clusters were found but most corrected.

Have re-assembled everything back - - drive still AWOL so doing above test again, this time with all drives connected.

Plot thickens - -when running above test with both drives attached, although both drives listed , when trying to run the quick test on the 2nd one a device not found error appears - - - - think there maybe a problem with this utility, gonna email hitachi about it.

At this point I'm fairly sure that the only way to get this back into windows is to fdisk it, may format too - - - -but need some tools to lift the data off there first

Boris - - whats that utility you have there mate ??? And how would I get my address to you should that be the answer ?