2nd Hard Drive Not Recognised

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks interesting that one ellas, but $149.00 is quite a price to pay to try and get your data back. I know someone who recently had a drive recovered professionally, and it cost him about the same :(

TBH1, if I were in your shoes, I would resize the partition on the working drive (using partition magic), leaving 40 gb free, and then try to clone the screwed drive to the free space (using drive image). Then, if that works, use partition magic to change the format type of the cloned data to fat32. If the data is then readable, I would copy it off to the first partition on the main drive, delete the cloned partition and resize the original back to fit. Once again verify that the data is correct (don't just look to see if the files are there, actually open them!!), and if all is well then I would fdisk the faulty drive and start again with a fresh format.

I would say though, that I would be wary of keeping important data on either of these drives without a backup elsewhere. It may be time for you to start writing lots of cd's. Whilst I am mentioning it, I personally never trust CDRW's. I have found them to be somewhat flaky, I would only use a branded CDR.

If you feel you can trust me, PM me your address and I will send by post copies of the required free software for the above procedure, to save your poor old dialup connection from taking a battering (good excuse for you to get broadband now). I'll even stick in a copy of Knoppix, you never know that might just be able to read te drive and save all the hassle.

Regards. Mr. Mouse.

This is good that it is listing the dir's on the slave drive.

I am not familiar with product. One false move and you may loose every thing.

Why not do as it says on the web site

"If you don't understand how to use TestDisk,

- run "testdisk /log /debug",

- select your hard disk,

- choose Analyse and Search!,

- at the end, don't choose "WRITE",

- send me testdisk.log file. "

Well I DON'T understand either. :rolleyes:

I cannot see any thing regarding payment. ;)

http://www.cgsecurity.org/

Because the fdisk\mbr has not worked I would of tried a few commands in fdisk. Then agan I would bu**er it up, loose everything and reach for the format disk :(

No offence to you TBH1, but I do have all my important data on 6 X cdr's. I like most others have been in the situation where months of work have gone down the tubes.

monkey hanger - - -no offence taken mate, but listen to this and you will probably laugh your proverbials off :lol:

I recently had cause to rebuild my system owing to a hard drive failure on the C drive. The air became somewhat blue as I had no adequate back-ups - - I had 2 hard drives and a CDRW - - and I work in IT so there was absolutely no excuse on this earth not to have to 'disaster recovery' in place.

I replace faulty disc, re-installed and vowed never EVER to fall into that trap again - - so I regularly backed up C drive to D and D drive to C - - - -hey, they ain't gonna both fail at the same time right ?????

Go on, I know you wanna laugh right now :)

The DOS window you mention above, I think I have re-produced the closest one I get to that one - - -spookily enough I did 5 screen captures whilst in the program and omitted one when posting here last night. Not at home right now so not sure if I do get that screen.

as I've mentioned the fact that I have tried 3 different cables, am gonna be naughty here and point to an 'incident' that happened to me this lunch-time when I took the 'duff' one back. Sorry if I'm breaking any rules here - - -this is defo worth a read : -

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm?go=di...00269&forumid=2

woops - sorry, you do need to be registered - - but then again, who ain't ???

Hi again, I see you've been busy. I ran this past some guys at work, and as far as we can tell it looks like your "media descriptor byte" on the hard drive has become altered or corrupted. This byte is what tells the operating system (windows, dos etc) what type of media the drive is, in your case a fat32 hard disc. Your byte is coming up with an identification we cannot discover, hence the drive is unreadable to windows and dos. This link describes the details a bit better than I can Fat System Guide

Now one guy in the office is quite confidant that it is possible to use a tool like norton's disc editor, and load the byte into a hex editor and change it back to the correct number. In your case that would be 0B (some times written as 0Bh, the h defining it as a hexadecimal number). However someone else claims that by changing the desriptor, the rest of the contents of the fat volume can become encoded and at that point unreadable, although he is pretty sure if that happens you can return the descriptor byte to it's prior state and the drive reverts to the way it was.

Also the general consensus of opinion, is that due to the way it works, the Knoppix linux cd I referred to earlier should be able to read the data. If this is so, then you will be able to copy it to your working drive and simply erase the old disc and start again with it. On the same basis, if you can copy the partition to another drive, using something like drive image, the partition should be viewable because the media descriptor should not be copied (the drive you copy the partition to will already have it's own descriptor).

To that end, I will be posting copies of Knoppix, Part Magic and Drive Image (free ones from magazine discs) to TBH1 in the hope that these will be able to recover the data.

Regards. Mr. Mouse.

Guest Nellie2

Wow TBH............. that is almost unbelivable!!!!!! I think you are well withing your rights to send off a missive to your local paper and while you are at it........ if the shop has a head office, send a polite but strongly worded complaint in there too.

TBH1 - that treatment is shocking, as an employee of a major retailer i shudder at such poor customer service and dispicable treatment.

Mr Invincible mouse - I am in admiration of your help and persistance in this topic and think a virtual beer is in order!

Lived Backwards, thank you for that, but I will only have the beer when the problem is finally resolved. :lol:

Mr. M.

PS TBH1, sorry to hear about your experience in the shop. It's a real shame, because it sounds like a small "local" retailer, and these need all the help they can get these days :(

Blimey Mr M - - -you been doing any work other than sorting my problem out ?? :)

You will certainly be 'mentioned in despatches' when this is finally fixed - - can't thank you enough.

Nellie2 - I think this shop is just a one-off type of shop, I am actually thinking of writing to the owner but would have to leave my address and could never be sure the manager would get to actually read it. I am still real angry with this, I'm normally a placid type of guy, won't be bullied but so laid back I'm nearlly falling over and surprised I still feel this way - - -its been 6 hours and I'm still 'seething'.

I may be tempting fete here but - - - -I purchased my C drive from these people, am praying it doesn't go wrong . :(

ellas - - - just had a go at the Ontrack Data recovery you suggested - - - this relies on be able to see the HD - - -and as youknow, this is my problem. Will keep it anyway, well, the trial version just in case when we do finally get to see this drive, the data is corrupted.

Ulrika Johnson - - - - - - I have got the beggar back !!!! :)

I ran the TestDisk4 utility again, the one which produced the screen shots posted earlier - - -risked the 'write' option and - - - - D drive back !!!!

Below is the screen-shot before I chose this option

post-30-1059434473.gif