,MOD file association

No.2 son-in-law is in trouble. He got a camcorder for xmas and was delighted in being able to video his first child - my No.3 G'child - at xmas as she was 6 months. He's been busy taking using his camera ever since. Now he's not PC literate - neither am I to a very great extent - but as it was my 70th birthday last April the family have decided that I would take them all away on holiday to France in a couple of weeks - isn't that kind of them as I'm paying. Anyway back on topic, his camera is just about full up and he's been struggling trying to drop his stuff onto DVD without success. So I've been roped in. I have copied all his stuff onto my PC and burnt it all as data files onto DVD's for back-up. Been round off and on over the last few days and finally freed up some of his HD space as he was down to only 2 GB spare space. 26 GB had been used up where he had kept trying to download the camera and boy do these video files take up space. He says originally he could play back his camera video's but not now. All I could get was that windows could not recognise the files association. His camera files have a MOVxx.MOD format. He hasn't been able to burn any video files.

So any help gratefully received. Also what questions I need to answer.

doug,

Did he get some software with the camera ?

I believe that some cameras (JVC ?) save mpeg2 files as .mod. There is a tool called sdcopy.exe which I understand will convert the MOD files to mpeg2 files.

You can download it from here :-

http://zyvid.com/smf/index.php?action=dlat...ic=280.0;id=153

If I get a new "toy", such as a digital or video camera, I really want to know all about it, and read the manual(s) from cover to cover. Usually I keep the "toy" at hand, and try out everything immediately.

Later, if I need to do things I have forgotten the details, the manual just serves as a reference. I never had any problems understanding technical manuals. They are usually written for end users.

Yes Dominic had read through the manual, I have the well thumbed thing in front of me now. I was thinking of re-installing the JVC disc back into his PC. However, something he said worries me, apparently he was able to watch the video clips but not able to burn. I tried yesterday and could not play them back, either from his camera, or from the copies on his PC nor from the data disk that I had burnt for him. I have copied all his camera files onto my PC and burnt data copies onto separate DVD's for safety. Now I can read and play all his files and do not have his JVC programs.

This makes me wonder if his PC has become corrupted - and don't ask about back-ups - he hasn't! The PC is a Packard Bell from PC world. Should I attempt to do a file check, I think he has the original disks but not OEM copies. The last thing we want is to restore to the original - as purchased condition. I have got them to copy all there essential data files onto disk - which is progress.