Visual Effects

playaj20008

Hi,

I have previously posted about my laptop from work, to which I have full administrator rights to. The problem is that no matter how I configure the visual settings, they always revert back to the basic windows 98 looking setup on my next boot. i have no startup scripts running and have attempted every registry key toggle I could find that has to do with this. I'm fairly convinced that this has to due with a special verson of XP the system is running, called DSXP Release 6. The only place this is displayed is on the log on screen.

Since it is already apparent that no one knows anything about this custom release of XP, I must take another route to solving this, as visual effects are of vital importance to my eyes, who hate windows 98 with a deep rooted passion after growing up with it. My idea is maybe throw in my own startup script that will set the settings nice looking every boot. Is this possible? If so anyone have a script for me?

I found a reference to 'DeskSwitch XP' (maybe DSXP?) in this 2005 thread on another forum. It might be of interest to you.

There is also a mention of TaskSwitch XP.

It may or may not have any relevance. :)

LOOK HERE

After googling deskswitch xp, it appears that it was never released. It was supposed to be a multiple desktop tool, but doesn't seem to be related to what I have on my laptop. But what I'm really more interested in at this point is some kind of startup script that could turn on all the effects, as they do come on normally, they just don't stay after a reboot.

But what I'm really more interested in at this point is some kind of startup script that could turn on all the effects, as they do come on normally, they just don't stay after a reboot.
In that case, I am sure that one of the infinitely more expert members will be able to help.

Good Luck! :D

I would assume your themes service is not running.

Go to Start > Run > services.msc

Looks for Themes and double click it to enter properties. Set the service startup type as automatic then start the service if it is not already running.

You may need to reboot the computer before you can change your themes.

I would assume your themes service is not running.

Go to Start > Run > services.msc

Looks for Themes and double click it to enter properties. Set the service startup type as automatic then start the service if it is not already running.

You may need to reboot the computer before you can change your themes.

No, that was one of my first guesses, but it was already running and set to auto.