What is it with ISPs?????

catgate

On Virgin cable I pay a total of £44 per month. This is for line rental, and ALL land line telephone calls 24/7, cable TV with over 100 channels, and 4MB broadband soon to be increased to 10MB. My current download speed is always well over 3.9MB at any time I test it. As we used to pay line rental plus on average £28 per month for dialled calls before taking up this package, we are well satisfied. :D

On Virgin cable I pay a total of £44 per month. This is for line rental, and ALL land line telephone calls 24/7, cable TV with over 100 channels, and 4MB broadband soon to be increased to 10MB. My current download speed is always well over 3.9MB at any time I test it. As we used to pay line rental plus on average £28 per month for dialled calls before taking up this package, we are well satisfied. :D

Oh well, that's OK then. I feel much relieved now. Thank you for your help and advice. I honestly do not know what I would have done had you not informed me of that. You have opened up an entirely new field of opportunity.

In this last hour I have looked to see what is available to us out here in the wilderness. Sadly Zen is not on offer.

Erm... Zen is available just about everywhere ;)

It has unbundled 4 exchanges - see http://www.samknows.com/broadband/llu-leag...alue=North+West

Have a read of this and you will see what I mean.

Zen uses the BT network in all exchanges apart from the 4 that it has unbundled.

Although I'm happy with Zen I realise that it isn't for everyone like for example if you want a cheap broadband connection and are a heavy downloader.

The main reason why I chose Zen is that it is one of the few UK ISP's that actually use UK based support in contrast to AOL's Indian call centre!

In this last hour I have looked to see what is available to us out here in the wilderness. Sadly Zen is not on offer.

Erm... Zen is available just about everywhere ;)

It has unbundled 4 exchanges - see http://www.samknows.com/broadband/llu-leag...alue=North+West

Have a read of this and you will see what I mean.

Zen uses the BT network in all exchanges apart from the 4 that it has unbundled.

Although I'm happy with Zen I realise that it isn't for everyone like for example if you want a cheap broadband connection and are a heavy downloader.

The main reason why I chose Zen is that it is one of the few UK ISP's that actually use UK based support in contrast to AOL's Indian call centre!

Have a look at this, Curly.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=MYMLB

Far too much red at my exchange.

It would not be too bad if Tiscali dropped down by 50% but half an hour ago I had a test down at 269 down and 156 up. .....Farcical

Yes it simply means that your exchange isn't unbundled by ISP's as they don't think it's going to be cost effective as your exchange serves under a 1000 people!

By contrast my exchange serves nearly 14,000 people.

My exchange is only unbundled by AOL, Talk Talk and Sky but I am with Zen (not LLU though)

To see for yourself just type your phone number into here and you should get text similar to what I get although your estimated speed may vary depending on how far you are from the exchange.

Here's whta it says when I type my number into the checker:

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 4Mbps or greater. The actual ADSL line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set. If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase. Thank you for your interest.

Note: If you have an ISDN or Home Highway service connected to this number and you wish to purchase Broadband ADSL, this can be arranged through your Service Provider. You will only be able to keep one of your ISDN / Home Highway telephone numbers - generally you can choose any of your numbers but there are some rare exceptions. If you have an existing Broadband ADSL service and wish to change service providers then please contact both your new and existing service provider to have this service transferred. If you do not know who the current Service Provider is, please contact your new Service Provider, who would be able to help you to resolve this issue.

p.s. if you do try it then omit the space i.e. post 01345678923 instead of 01345 678923

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 3Mbps or greater. The actual ADSL line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set. If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase. Thank you for your interest.

Note: If you have an ISDN or Home Highway service connected to this number and you wish to purchase Broadband ADSL, this can be arranged through your Service Provider. You will only be able to keep one of your ISDN / Home Highway telephone numbers - generally you can choose any of your numbers but there are some rare exceptions. If you have an existing Broadband ADSL service and wish to change service providers then please contact both your new and existing service provider to have this service transferred. If you do not know who the current Service Provider is, please contact your new Service Provider, who would be able to help you to resolve this issue.

........Very similar story on my number.

Is this check a check for/by/on behalf of Zen's service, or is it just any old check on one of zen's pages. I couldn't make up my mind.

Is this check a check for/by/on behalf of Zen's service, or is it just any old check on one of zen's pages. I couldn't make up my mind.

It's a checker to see if you can get Zen's service (you can) but it's based on BT's database.

I'm not suggesting you migrate to Zen, I'm just correcting you when you said that you can't get Zen where you live!

It's a checker to see if you can get Zen's service (you can) but it's based on BT's database.

I'm not suggesting you migrate to Zen, I'm just correcting you when you said that you can't get Zen where you live!

Ah! Thanks Curly.

I shall continue looking for my next move and also try to find the cost of extracting myself from the clutches of Tiscali.

I shall continue looking for my next move and also try to find the cost of extracting myself from the clutches of Tiscali.

Good luck but if you are still in contract you will have to pay it off which can be expensive :(

They have to give you a MAC code if you ask for one as they will be going against OFCOM's rules otherwise (see http://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice/codes/bb_migration/ )

For what it's worth I would go for an ISP with UK based customer service and monthly contracts.

Also if you are a medium to heavy user then why not try one of the Entanet resellers as they offer generous caps divided into peak and off-peak usage.

Why the sarcasm?? I was probably mistaken in thinking that this was a discussion on I.S.P's. Sorry.

Not everyone can get cable unfortunately :(

It's only available to around half of the UK population.

If it was available in my area then I would almost certainly go for it.

I appreciate that fact. There was however no need for Catgate to be so sarcastic. It is a discussion on ISP's, and as such I joined in, making the point that if cable is available, it is well worth considering.

There was however no need for Catgate to be so sarcastic.

It was not the best that I can do. I can be really sarcastic if I try.

Feel free if you really consider that it adds to the topic. I have always credited you with more common sense than to feel a need to be sarcastic to someone who was merely making a contribution the a thread. I appreciate the fact that cable is not universally available, but the fact that people who use it are happy with it, may be of help to those who do not yet have it installed, but have the option. I sympathise with your problems, but this does not mean that it is in order to be so rude. I'm sorry that you felt the need.