Dell's "anti-crapware" initiative doesn't go far eno

Chris

My wife's small business has recently had a requirement to upgrade a couple of PCs, after 5 or 6 years. Since I am ultimately responsible for all their IT (and I am not proud of what they have - I cut all sorts of corners to make my life easy, but they don't know how lean it is), I've always bought Dell kit for them since it's been good quality, relatively cheap, it's quick and easy.

Looking around on their site, I figured the new Dell Vostro desktop range might be worth a look - and since the machines were shipped with "Just the Software you need - no Trialware installed" then it would save me time in rebuilding the systems when they arrived (as I'd generally do).

More | Here

Must admit I see this with New IBM machines that I setup...loads of stuff installed but not necessary.

I wouldn't buy any commercial computer, just because of all the crap ware. This is why my computer was built locally, and supplied with NOTHING at all on it except the operating system. It also had a full Windows installation disc. :D

Why people worry about such things is beyond me. Just run http://pcdecrapifier.com/ and all is well.

On the other hand, people with not much experience about computer security may well be better off with anti-virus and other anti-malware applications preinstalled. Not everybody has the daily exposure as WF regulars.

I spent an entire afternoon this past week tweaking my son's new Dell Inspiron laptop. I removed all traces of AOL, then had to find a program from Symantic that would allow me to remove all their c@ap software from the computer. Finally I disabled at least a dozen or so programs from starting up and running in the background. I then added some maintenance programs, defragged and started it up again. Startup was faster and programs seemed to load faster. Idle CPU usage dropped from around 20% to less 2%.

I assume you have safely used the PCdecrapifier program several times and never had a problem......correct?

Actually I have not. Dell Japan seems not in the habit to crapify computers, especially when ordering English Windows; it just comes preloaded with Windows and everything else you order.

But I have seen it recommended by reliable sources, and I never heard anything negative about it.