Outlook Contact Name Problem

AlanHo

My Vista / Outlook 2007 has suddenly started to behave abnormally.

When I create a new contact - or amend an existing one - it is appearing in the contacts list showing the first name first and last name last (Alan Smith) irrespective how I set the "file as" parameters. (Alan Smith or Smith, Alan)

If I set the "file as" parameter to first name then last name (Alan Smith) it will appear in the contacts list with the first name in alphabetical order.

If I set it to last name then first name (Smith Alan) it will appear in the contacts list with the last name in alphabetical order - even though it still shows as first name last name (Alan Smith).

Old records remain correct - they are set in "File as" to last name then first name and appear in the contacts list with the last name in alphabetical order (Smith Alan). However - if I edit any of the record - after saving it the name appears in the contact list as (Alan Smith) but still filed in last name alphabetical order.

I recall having the same problem about 18 months ago on my previous XP computer with Outlook 2003 - but cannot remember how I cured it.

I have now resolved the problem - or more properly should give the credit to a guy called Russ Valentine - MVP Outlook - on the MS Outlook-General newsgroup.

When creating a new contact in Outlook there is the provision under the entry boxes for the names to select how the names are displayed using a drop down menu called "File as" - either Fred Jones or Jones, Fred etc. This is what I have been using and until recently it worked OK.

However - I recently did a clean install of Vista and all my programmes - including Outlook - and without me realising it - the default setting for how the names are displayed was different to before.

I am now advised that the correct way for setting the name display is via the tools menu - Tools > Options > Preferences > Contacts then set the way you want names displayed and the sort order. He advised that the "File as" box on the new contact page was intended to be used when you wanted to over-rule the default setting on an individual basis - but it does not work properly. If you use this to override the default - it confuses Outlook which gets proper grumpy.