Windows Vista and Windows XP on 2 separate partitions...

Windows XP vs. Windows Vista  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which OS is overall better?

• Windows XP
    • Windows Vista Ultimate

Hello, I was wondering how windows Vista Ultimate would run on a partition on my machine that is 38 GB, since the other part is Windows XP Pro., I have looked at the tech specs for the OS, but I am asking you...How good would windows Vista run? BTW, I am upgrading to 1 GB of RAM before I do this whole thing.

I have a Dell Dimension 8200, Pentium 4, 2.0GHz processor, 512 MB RAM (soon to be 1 GB)

Thanks! :D

You will need a lot more than 38GB of hard disk space to allow Vista to function correctly. You will also need more RAM.

I am of the opinion that operating system upgrades are rarely successful and dual booting upgraded systems even less so.

Regarding your poll, I've built several machines with Vista as the O/S for others. The next machine I build for myself will be XP.

Hello, I was wondering how windows Vista Ultimate would run on a partition on my machine that is 38 GB, since the other part is Windows XP Pro., I have looked at the tech specs for the OS, but I am asking you...How good would windows Vista run? BTW, I am upgrading to 1 GB of RAM before I do this whole thing.

I have a Dell Dimension 8200, Pentium 4, 2.0GHz processor, 512 MB RAM (soon to be 1 GB)

Thanks! :D

i'm currently running both and they seem alright not had any problems yet. would say I think though vista is not all that and when you have had it a long time it soon becomes just another o/s

How well would Windows Vista Ultimate run on my system, with a Intel Pentium 4 Processor, 2.0GHz, with 1 GB of RAM?

Well according to this

Home Premium / Business / Ultimate

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

* 1 GB of system memory

* 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space

* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:

o WDDM Driver

o 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)

o Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware

o 32 bits per pixel

* DVD-ROM drive

* Audio Output

* Internet access (fees may apply)

... you have just about enough RAM to run it so it may not perform how you would want it to run.

I ran Vista BETA in 2006 and it ran okay on my PC but I have 1.5 GB of RAM so this may have helped.

I am using an oldish processor like yourself namely an AMD Athlon XP 3000+

I'm expecting to build a media pc in the near future and have a lot of experience with XP but not the MCE edition. I had the opportunity to trial Vista Ultimate (contains Media Centre software) so over the weekend I upgraded XP Pro to Vista on an Athlon 3700+ machine with 1GB ram and a 70GB hard drive.

I've found that Vista runs OK on this system, it boots up and closes down faster than the original XP Pro install. The Media Centre software is easy to run, once you upgrade drivers like Divx and AC3. I'm now hoping to trial XP MCE before I make my final choice.

I'm really happy with how XP has matured as an OS but I can report that I was equally impressed with Vista over the several hours that I played with it.

Good luck with your upgrade.