Problem with secure sites

celal

Hello, I'm having problems with sites such as hotmail, yahoo mail and most important, bank sites for some time. I have read this topic "Some Websites not loading, Please help" but not quite sure if it is the same issue.

I am using XP Professional and I think it is something with the reqistry, not the browser as I have tested in IE 7 and Firefox and Opera. IE gives the common "Internet Explorer can not display the webpage", Opera doesn't open the site at all and FireFox gives the message "Firefox and ........ (server such as login.yahoo.com or the bank url) cannot communicate securely because they have no common encryption algorithms"

Can anyone recommend a solution?? I need to solve this problem asap and re-installing my windows would be a true disaster for me.

Thanks in advance,

Celal

In Firefox, both are already checked. In IE, all 3 were checked, I unchecked "Use SSL 2.0" but still no luck.

I have also done a virus check with Kaspersky and a spyware check with Spyware Doctor. I have deleted temporary internet files and cookies. Also reregistered some .dll files related to crytographic services according to a ms kb (dont remember the nbr). Still same!!! :angry:

There is a lot of information about troubleshooting your problem in the following link....

(It refers to IE6 and SP2, but it's worth a look through :) )

MICROSOFT SUPPORT

Thanks Irene, but those suggestions don't work either. I was hoping the sfc /scannow suggestion would but still same. I only didn't try creating a new user and logging in that way. will try that also.

Before you do that Celal have you tried downloading the browsers again and re-installing the latest version? To do that download them all using one of your existing browsers, then uninstall the old one and install the new one and test each one, one at a time. If that doesn't work (and assuming you've already tried System Restore to before this problem started) it would seem like re-installation of Windows is the only option.

• 1 month later...

I have similar problem. In few words:

User is a local user, work already some time on PC. Than We moved PC to a domain. Because he has all settings in old profile, I have done:

- give new (domain) user full permitions on c:\D&S\oldlocaluser

- in regedit under oldlocaluser account give full permitions on HK_CU

- in regedit I changed Path to Local Profile List from new directory to home directory:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-....\

Before ProfileImagePath= %SystemDrive%\Users\domainuser

After ProfileImagePath= %SystemDrive%\Users\oldlocaluser

Everything works fine... Except:

if a new domain user is just a user (no power user), IE dosedn't work for https sites (for example gmail.com). If I put user in Power user group or administrators, it works.

Firefox, works OK.

What should I change to solve problems with IE?

Everything works fine... Except:

if a new domain user is just a user (no power user), IE dosedn't work for https sites (for example gmail.com). If I put user in Power user group or administrators, it works.

Firefox, works OK.

What should I change to solve problems with IE?

Others also seem to be having this problem. There's a site here (channel9) which says this is a TLS issue. I've no idea what that refers to but suggest you could follow up on that link. Also use the IE7 Help & Support page for further advice.