System Error!

Colonel_Gyza

So I've run into a bit of a problem... After 4 years with no problems with viruses or 'major' spyware, my computer has become infected. It seems to only be attacking IE and Windows Explorer (my mozilla is untouched). Basically, whenever I perform an action which requires changing the page on either, an error message comes up.

"System Error!

Your computer was infected by unknown trojan

It's dangerous for your system (critical files can be lost) !

Click OK to download the antispyware program to clean your system! (Recommended)"

It appears incessantly. I've run ad-aware and Avast anti-virus but neither have picked anything up... any suggestions?

DO NOT download the software as it recommends - that's most likely to be a come-on to buy something completely useless and is the sole cause of the message you are getting.

Try a scan with http://www.superantispyware.com/?tag=GOOGLE-SUPERANTISPYWARE and/or http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-...pyware/us/frt/0

Make sure you download the free versions.

Let us know the results and we can assess where we go from there.

I'm sorry did you download the software the error told you to download?

If so you now need to wipe your system, the idea is the error is very basic can be brought through IE using java or even flash actually, giving you a very basic error and telling you to download software.

When downloading the software you are opening a massive hole in your security, the software can infect things like norton avast etc telling it that the software is not a virus or if its a well written (modern virus) they wouldn't pick it up anyway.

so this software can do things like remote connection, use you for DDoS attacks or just general keylogging grabbing your credit card details and commiting identity theft.

It is very hard to destroy what is on the system, only thing I have ever found is to possibly boot knoppix and clamAV or even bartPE and avast!

I really hope you didn't download what the error told you to or you can be in serious trouble, I would say best bet is to disconnect the PC from the internet then fix the issues.

Thank you very much, Gentlemen. I downloaded the very first one recommended (Super Anti Spyware), installed it, ran it, and now everything is back to normal. I guess my Ad-Aware wasn't the end all and be all I thought it was. :P Problem solved and crisis averted.

Most of us on here run more than one Anti Malware program. Each is only as good as its latest definitintions. You must also have a firewall, to try and prevent these unwanted downloads in future. :D