ASP.NET User Account

Irene

I just rebooted my PC and found that I didn't auto login. :0

When I checked the User Accounts in the Control Panel, there was a new account for ASP.NET.

Having done a Google search, it would appear to be something to do with Microsoft.Net Framework.

Blooming cheek installing that on my PC!!

It must have been in this morning's update. :unsure:

Do I really need these .net framework things? It doesn't feel very secure when this kind of thing can happen. :(

P.S. This may be in the wrong place. Moderators, please feel free to move it if you wish.

The aspnet_wp or ASP.NET Machine Account is created when the Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 is installed onto a Windows XP computer. The user is created to run the asp.net worker process used in Microsoft's Internet Information Services, which allows ASP.net to run on your local web server (This is pretty much its only use, it is not used to run normal .net managed executables). There is not a need to worry about this user's presence; it was not created in malicious way.
You can remove this account, but it is vital if you do asp.net development work on your machine.

By removing the account you may find your ASP.net projects will no longer function correctly.

It is possible to recreate the user by issuing the following command from the run dialog (changing the framework version number as appropriate)

%systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe /i

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

In other words, yes you can delete it unless you know why it's there. I recommend using the command:

and not just deleting the account outright.

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

In other words, yes you can delete it unless you know why it's there. I recommend using the command:

and not just deleting the account outright.

Thanks, Scarecrow Man. :D

I have no idea why it is there.

The lack of auto login is what I object to.

Where do I type in the command? :unsure:

I don't feel comfortable editing the registry. :(

Can I just copy and paste

into Start, Run?

Will that give me back my auto login? :unsure:

.NET Framework does not install by itself; it is always an optional install.

Can you check Add/Remove Programs; what version(s) of .NET Framework you have installed?

Why did you install it; do you have any applications that need it? (The only public application I have on my computer is Filehippo's Update Checker, which requires .NET Framework 2.0).

This is what my current installtions are...

.. There was also 3.0, but I uninstalled it yesterday.

The only instance of installation I vaguely recall, was when I installed Google Earth, which I subsequenly removed. I have a feeling that the .net was involved then. :unsure:

No, Google Earth does not require .NET Framework (but it requires DirectX 9).

Applications that I have that require .NET Framework

• Microsoft Time Zone (requires 1.1)
  • Filehippo Update checker (requires 2.0)
  • DELL Support Center version 2 (requires 2.0)

Applications that I used to have that required .NET Framework

• WinToolsXP (requires 2.0)
  • RegscrubXP 4 (requires 2.0)

Thanks very much, Pat. :)

Sorry, I removed the quote about doing research on what applications need .NET Framework - it is simply too time consuming. There should really be a central repository somewhere! :angry:

Most people I know have not the slightest idea if they need .NET Framework or not, and what version(s) they need.