Windows Firewall

Pingpong

Hi, have questions about Firewall. At this moment I am using Kaspersky Internet Security. Its a good one, but I refuse to use it anymore since I am denied the 30% voucher code when you renew it. I am thinking about getting Avast antivirus instead and here comes my questions: Should I buy a firewall software or is the built-in windows firewall good enough? does the built-in windows firewall do a good job protecting computer? Will it give enough protection? I am asking this because buying antivirus and firewall separately and then have to renew them every year would be too expensive and I have tried other firewall+antivirus but the other is worse than the other one. Please help me with this and thank you.

In my view, there's no need for the average home user to pay for a firewall. There's a number of very good free ones available (see the thread referred to by Boris). The thread also explains the limitations of the built-in 1-way Windows firewall.

Also, pingpong, be aware that a firewall and antivirus are NOT the same thing.

A firewall is like passport control and only checks that everyone who goes in out has got a ticket & passport, but doesn't look in their pockets and luggage.

An antivirus is like an X-ray security check, it doesn't check the passenger's ticket but looks at what they have in their pockets and luggage.

You should also consider getting some anti-spyware or anti-malware, which is like airport security doing a body search as well.

You can get excellent free versions of all 3 types of product - do some searching on this forum for advice.

The Nod 32 security suite is A.V. Firewall and Anti Malware all in one. Personally, I feel that it is excellent value for the price. It is consistently in the top two or three in independent tests, and if you live in the UK telephone support is available at normal telephone rates. :D