PC Tools Free Anti-Virus

PC Tools Free Anti-Virus version 3 was a resource sapping stinker, but the latest version 4 appears to have addressed all problems and is now a functional alternative to AVG or avast! with a reasonably low footprint. As with the others it's ICSA rated with a Virus Bulletin 100%.

The only real pain is the update system, which loses the High speed update feature. It'll check for updates at a set interval, even advise you when there's one available, but the update procedure itself requires three manual click here's to complete.

Not quite top line free protection, but worth a look if you've fallen out with the usual suspects or used all your free licenses.

PC Tools Free Anti-Virus version 3 was a resource sapping stinker, but the latest version 4 appears to have addressed all problems and is now a functional alternative to AVG or avast! with a reasonably low footprint. As with the others it's ICSA rated with a Virus Bulletin 100%.

The only real pain is the update system, which loses the High speed update feature. It'll check for updates at a set interval, even advise you when there's one available, but the update procedure itself requires three manual click here's to complete.

Not quite top line free protection, but worth a look if you've fallen out with the usual suspects or used all your free licenses.

I've just had a look and it has FAILED twice so far this year in February and April. It has only been tested four times to date, with two passes and two failures. NOT VERY IMPRESSIVE. Four wildcat misses in April and three in February. Their Spyware Doctor passed last June and failed in December. To me this seems like a company to avoid.

I've just had a look and it has FAILED twice so far this year in February and April. It has only been tested four times to date, with two passes and two failures. NOT VERY IMPRESSIVE. Four wildcat misses in April and three in February. Their Spyware Doctor passed last June and failed in December. To me this seems like a company to avoid.

The four submissions is down to it being a fairly new product and as to the two failures, find me an AV with 100% @ 100% on Virus Bulletin, even the much vaunted Nod32 has fallen over on a couple of occasions.

As I said not to my mind up with avast! ( I know they failed a couple recently ) or AVG, but it's been running on my laptop without problems for a few months and fingers crossed so far it's done the job. I stick by my "Worth a look" assessment.

The four submissions is down to it being a fairly new product and as to the two failures, find me an AV with 100% @ 100% on Virus Bulletin, even the much vaunted Nod32 has fallen over on a couple of occasions.

As I said not to my mind up with avast! ( I know they failed a couple recently ) or AVG, but it's been running on my laptop without problems for a few months and fingers crossed so far it's done the job. I stick by my "Worth a look" assessment.

Nod 32 failed in February 1998, November 2000 and April 2002. This means six full years of 100% passes. A far more impressive performance. I know which I prefer. :D :D :D