Spyware and adware has taken over my PC

Silver Surfer

It has gotten to the point that I can hardly use it at. It is mainly "Antivirus 2008". a malware out of Russia. I have tried removing it manually with no success. The longer it is on there the worse it gets. It is so bad now that I am now sending this email from a Mac. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, SS

The following link from BleepingComputer explains how to remove AntiVirus 2008 adware: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-re.../antivirus-2008. Follow the instructions exactly as described, and then make sure you have updated anti-virus & anti-malware apps and a decent firewall. Also install McAfee Site Advisor for warnings about malicious websites. All these utilities are available free - see other threads on this and other forums. Good luck :flowers:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Spybot S&D is pretty good too. :D

I would just like to thank all that responded to my problem. And to say that I am back up and running again. :flowers:

If you are having any trouble with viruses, mal-ware or ad- ware. I have just gone threw a long battle with it and won. It was so bad that it was taking control of my computer in a very bad way with notices and logging onto web sites that were not wanted in the middle of typing a letter. The more I tried to get rid of it the more intrusive it became. Everyone needs protection from these things if you receive and open e-mail or surf the net. Long story short I brought a program called "Lavaware" Lavaware Site This by it self will not do it but.

It got rid of it enough for me to regain control of my unit to delete the rest of it as mention in an above post "A Must". I am not saying that this is the holy grail but it works for me. None of the free programs I tried would remove it but this did. Infact the free spy ware programs were just as much a problem you must delete them as well. I have also updated my Norton System with "Go Back". I had a second attack and with "Go Back" I just had to restore the system to a time when it was working fine. I don't think one program is enough. Both are contently on watch for problems and stopping attacks. ;)

One final note if you ever see Anti-Virus 2008 or 2009 update stay away from it. :censored: It is one of the worse. I had let my Nortons expire and thought that they were letting me upgrade it for free. WRONG!!! This was the start of it. The program was contently telling me to buy the program or very bad things would happen to me. The longer I ignored it the more intrusive it became. :(

Now since I have removed it from my system. I scan it at least once a week with each program to remove any threat. I haven't had any issue for sometime. :D

• 4 weeks later...