Trend micro HouseCall

doug

I have never been able to run HouseCall. Have just been trying again without success, I keep getting the message "warning the HouseCall-API did not define a Native Binding" and it then just sits there! I'm running XP SP2 with AVG Free, Zone Alarm free: neither of which show any problems but I would like a second opinion. Also Firefox 2.0.0.11 and the Java update that was recommended. Carried out an on-line search for the Native Binding problem and have also tried running it in Safe Mode but still get the same message.

Suggestions please.

Will follow that up Pat. Now just under 3 hours using IE and nothing at all. Where does it give the estimated time? Can't see anything at all, just hanging at stage 2 with nothing showing on the progress bar.

I let it run overnight, and it finished withing 2¾ hours. A few harmless "threats" were found.

Have you run Housecall v6.6 ?

I start it from here http://prerelease.trendmicro-europe.com/hc66/launch/

• -> click 'Launch Housecall Free Scan'
  • Transferring data...
  • -> Accept the License Agreement
  • transfeering data...
  • Loading the Housecall kernel...
  • Updating Trendmicro Housecall..
  • -> select Recommended scan
  • -> click 'Start scanning'
  • Please wait whie Housecall scans your system

There is a short delay here - the status bar say waiting for trendmicro-europe.com, then it starts scanning. This is what the Firefox panel looks like; you can see the remaining time on the left.

post-1524-1213753566_thumb.png

The first ever time I used TrendMicro it took about 4 hours and seemed to stop and start at random. But it did find nearly 50 items of malware. That was when I was an innocent beginner and had put my trust in Norton & the Windows Firewall. Now I run it (or one of the other on-line scanners) once every 3 months as a double check & it takes about 1 hour. I confirms that my real-time protection is working effectively.

I first used it about 3 years ago after stumbling across a site called Optimise XP here:(http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html) from where I first learnt how to clean up a computer, get it running efficiently and keep it protected.

P.S. That's all using IE, by the way.

Whey Hey Pat. That link to Ver. 6.6 is now doing the business. Estimated completion time. If I had nothing better to do I'd sit here for the next 5 Hours watching the progress.

Sods law. I was busy doing stuff in the garden for herself when she decided to do some on-line shopping and re-booted the PC to get a clean start. I will do a full scan tonight when she - and I , are snoring!