First look at Windows 7's User Interface

Chris

At PDC today, Microsoft gave the first public demonstration of Windows 7. Until now, the company has been uncharacteristically secretive about its new OS; over the past few months, Microsoft has let on that the taskbar will undergo a number of changes, and that many bundled applications would be unbundled and shipped with Windows Live instead. There have also been occasional screenshots of some of the new applets like Calculator and Paint. Now that the covers are finally off, the scale of the new OS becomes clear. The user interface has undergone the most radical overhaul and update since the introduction of Windows 95 thirteen years ago.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081...-windows-7.html

I'm impressed.

Well, it looks interesting. Re-designing the annoying System Tray is a good idea. I hope they come up with a better filing system than Documents & Settings. What have documents (text I read, etc) to do with settings (items to do with the system, etc)?

Oh, and a "Ready" sign would be useful when start-up is finally completed. I'm fed up with cricking my neck to see if the HDD light has really stopped flashing.

For me basic usability & reliability is more important than flashy graphical eye-candy.

Well apart from programs, almost everything else must be user specific - so that explains why Windows wants to put nearly everything there. To me it's like finding only one category in a public library: Documents & Books.

I'm sure most serious computer users devise have devised their own filing system. I certainly have, and documents & settings doesn't feature in it at all. It would be interesting if members would provide a list of the categories they use for storing files on their computer. Admin, would this require a new thread?

:)

I'm also excited for Windows 7.

I've already got a one comment on it... If Vista was version 6.0... and XP is version 5.1...(SP1,SP2,SP3), why didn't they come up with a better name than 'Windows 7'. I realize in some peoples opinions '7' is a lucky number & I suppose with all the Vista issues, they need all the luck they can get. I did prefer the name they gave XP and Vista instead of the numbered thing. We all know when each version was released. Anyhow, that's my simple though.

I also by-passed Vista although I did have a chance to work with it a few times & certain things I enjoyed so I think I'll commit to Windows 7 (from my love of XP) and see how it goes.

Will