pcworld upgrade costs

Guest ellas

just got a leaflet with a game I bought off pcworld cannot believe what they charge for upgrades,

additional memory-£14-99

installation of upgrade-£24-99

additional upgrade-£9-99

in store set of pc,printer,scanner-£24-99

pc repairs,labour charge-1st hour-£50-00

-2nd hour-£24-99

well I put memory in my sis computer twice thats £30-00,tv card-£25-00 installed cdrw-£25-00,set up printer and pc-£25-00,at least 1 hour to sort out corrupt registry-£50-00 thats £155-00 she owes me and thats not including all the other times I have sorted problems including 20 mins on phone at £1 a minute.

my god they charge that much

so if a screw is hard to take out and takes 1/2 an hour thats £25, going to toilet(15mins) thats £12.50p

and thats just to take case off............lol

ellas lets go into charging people then................lol..........

madboy33

ah but you forget, you looked into my computer, so i am now going to have to kill you..............lol.........

just kidding about the killing you bit

i did appreciate it and was impressed with remote assisstance

madboy33

erm ellas thats £74.99p as you spent an hour and a half on my comp.............dooooooooooooh i should't have said that............lol..........

Fine.....then don't buy the service

thats alright saying that tankus but how many computer users do you know who have never ever opened there case ,stacks I bet,when my sis puter would not even boot into windows she thought that was it new computer needed,all it needed was a floppy startup disc to be able to get in to restore the registry,so for the average person like they take ther car to a main dealer for service they take ther computer to pcworld.

because theres a myth madboy that its complex,then they scare you that elctrostatic can damage your computer,sis change a bulb in her car never,by the way pcworld say professional installition of upgrades madboy not amateur like you or me :P

Lets be honest here, if you made your living doing that kind of thing you would be charging more than that. I'd want a heck of a lot more to cover costs, and not to mention the risks involved. If you know nothing about computers it does make sense to pay for someone else to do it.

You would be surprised at how many people do get a car dealer to change the bulb, and its worth bearing in mind that most modern cars aren't much more than fancy computers. Plug a computer into it and it will tell you whats wrong, the skill is knowing how to fix it.

To continue the car example, if you put a bulb in and it didn't work what do you do next? Put a stick of RAM in and the computer doesn't boot, not many people would know where to start troubleshooting that one.

What looks like an easy job can become complex and time consuming all too quickly.

No-one is making us pay the prices, don't think its worth moaning about them.

Who said I was complaining? :D

lol, I was just stating a fact. I just get my bro's fiance's step-father to check the family computer :lol:

//offtopic:

*pouts* Craig's not online. I was hoping to catch him before I went to bed to say hello. Oh well, I have witnesses to say I was here. Goodnight!

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

Just to compare "value",my Brother bought a complete PC to self-build recently from a local computer shop.

When the purchase was complete the guy behind the counter asked if he wanted them to build it.

"How much?" asks Brother....."£25.00" answers assistant.... "You build it" replies Brother.

I mean,self-builds are kinda fun,but if you get a faulty component and aren't sure which one it is,it can be a nightmare.

PC World really are taking the mickey though,those prices are a joke,although I wish I could charge the same. ;)

Shirley_Crabtree - that computer shop isn't charging enough!

Had a friend who was working freelance, wasn't getting the work so had to put prices up to pay his bills. Prices went up, demand for work increased. Its all in the mind.

I wouldn't pay £25 to get a PC built, would be just a tad wary of what 'if's that could creep up later on down the line.

and when you take the computer/car to a main dealer you pay main dealer prices, when you can change a bulb yourself on a headlight(thats for a car) so why not change a stick of RAM for your computer?

madboy33

You would be surprised how many people cant change a light bulb on a car properly, I would be slightly richer now if I got a pound for everytime I had a customer say "when I press my brakes my headlights flash" yup you guessed it they always fit the brake light upside down :D :blink:

by madboy33(cant allow last line paul-sorry mate)

Or they buy the wrong bulb fit it themselves and panic, or even in the case of mondeos buy a headlamp bulb then wonder WHERE to fit it.

If I had £1 for the no of times that has happened to me I'd have a new comp every 6mths (slight exaggeration )