Installing Ubuntu inside Windows

Hb_Kai

Today I got my long-awaited copy of Ubuntu through the precious Royal Mail and I was wondering after inserting the disc to look at the menu...

If I installed Ubuntu inside Windows, would I still need all the drivers for everything or would it pick them all up from Windows?

What do you mean "inside Windows" - on a virtual PC or VMware? No, I don't think it would use any of the installed Windows device drivers.

P.S. I have tried - unsuccessfully - to install Ubuntu on Virtual PC. Should work OK on VMware. See also this topic for another free virtualization software.

It says on the menu:

Install and uninstall Ubuntu like any other application, without the need for a dedicated partition. You will be able to boot into either Windows or Ubuntu. Hibernation is not enabled in this mode and disk performance is slightly reduced.

So I guess, like a normal program or something?

• 2 weeks later...

In the early days of Linux (read early 90's) you could install Slackware Linux on top of the windows FAT filesystem next to the C:\windows directories. :-)

Both those days are over. Nowadays better options are:

1. installation into a virtual machine

2. installation onto a hard disk partition

3. installation onto a second harddisk

4. boot from usb stick with user storage on harddisk.

5. boot from dvd with user storage on harddisk/usb stick.