Dual booting Windows & Linux.

Alan2273

Just lately it seems there are a lot of posts about computer users who have tried to install a dual boot Windows / Linux system and have wiped out the recovery partition on there hard drive, so there is no way without a disk to reinstall Windows.

To anyone who is thinking of trying this,

make sure you understand the Linux filesystem, before you start partitioning, so you do not wipe the recovery partition

• 2 years later...

Before starting, there are two terms you need to be familiar with: partition and file system. The disk can be divided into smaller, separate pieces which can belong to different owners. For dual booting, Windows will own some and Linux will own others. The word “partition” does not refer to the wall; it refers to the separated space.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have installed windows 2008 server R2 on my C: drive and second windows 2003 server installed on D: drive.. but my system always boot from Windows 2008 server. I want to display the option to ask me which windows should be boot from.

Please, tell me how to make dual boot from Windows 2008 server and Windows 2003 server.

Regards

Kashif Noor

Hi Kashi.

:welcomewf:

Please, tell me

In this case Kashi it is probably going to be more appropriate to help you, rather than "tell you".

Your forum profile leaves us little choice considering the variables that can exist in such situations.

The best help that can be offered given the information that you have supplied, is to put you on a pathway of self-learning.

Here of course comes also an excellent opportunity to explain to others apart from yourself exactly what dual or multi-booting means. Firstly though I will point you in a direction that you may learn about your own on-going problem which has been dealt with many, many, times before in articles, forums, and blogs on the internet.

If you follow ** This Link ** You will see from this that "you are not alone", - your own problem exists in many forms and variables outside of your own computing experience.

We at Windows Forum hope that you find this information useful, and that you soon solve your most recent angst.

Thanks for the post. :flowers:

John.

.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.

Dual or Multi-Booting

What is meant by this term ?

Probably the best explanation can be afforded by visiting:

** WIKIPEDIA - DUAL BOOTING **This may then lead you on to wishing to know about the many

** BOOT MANAGERS ** that are available.

Our own ** ESSENTIAL GUIDES ** may contain information on dual-booting. (Dont forget to check out the archives also.)

If they dont ? - Perhaps someone out there would be kind enough to write up a guide on Dual Booting ?

John. :flowers:

• 1 year later...