Some sort of queer mails in my email inbox

Roman

Hello everybody, :)

In the past couple of weeks I've been receiving some kind of strange "warning" mails with the request of forwarding them.

Although not many, but all of them kind of try to warn people about something. For example to stay away from some certain medicaments such as tablets, or (in the mail from last week) that on 22nd July there's gonna be a tsunami in the indian ocean....etc. And then I'm thinking wtf????

Those mails are coming from a friend who lives in Germany like me, but comes from India and thus has contacts to people over there.

I'm not quite sure if I should count this as spam but in general, I really dont see the point of writing some mails containing warnings or predictions about something etc. and then publishing it. I mean that certainly wouldn't take take you to anything nor would you gain anything from it. No information about bank accounts.....etc. - just nothing!

What do you think about it. Do you think mails like this are spam?

Do you think mails like this are spam?

That would be YES. Sort of an electronic chain letter, as you've pointed out a completely useless waste of time, the question should be why is your friend forwarding this garbage to you and presumably everybody else in his address book ? Are they unaware they're doing it, in which case they need to tighten their security pronto. Or do they think it's informative/amusing ? In which case a polite request that they stop passing on the trash mail could enlighten them.

I wouldn't exactly call this 'spam', but it is stupid and annoying. I have received such things that have been forwarded, and forwarded, and forwarded, dozens of times, and containing hundreds and hundreds of email addresses in total. A very nice find if this lands in a spammer's hands!

Belatucadrus' advice is right: politely ask the sender not to forward such crap to your address, else s/he will be put on the banned senders list.