Prefetch data deleted. Help please... :D

Do not worry :)

1. Turn off the option to clean the Prefetch in Tune-Up Utilities

2. Windows will just need to re-create all the prefetch files again, thereby slowing down Windows during boot and program starts until all the new prefetch files are created

Windows just maintains the Prefetch folder at a rolling 128 entries - any new applications you run after this number replace the last one that you have not used recently.

See :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefetcher

CCleaner used to have cleaning the Prefetch as a default setting. After criticism that for people who tended to use the same core programs each time, it actually slowed the system, it was relegated to an option about 18 months ago. If you've got a version before 2008 it might still be operating as default.

Who/what deleted the Prefetch folder items - that "tuneup" tool? If so, that's a fine "tuneup" utility; it will make Windows startup and applications slower for a while, until the Prefetch folder has been rebuilt.

In case you do have problems from any of its actions, you can just access the Tune-Up "Rescue Centre" - which enables you to restore any deletions done and go back to the state before the actions it took.

• 6 months later...
Do not worry

1. Turn off the option to clean the Prefetch in Tune-Up Utilities

Boris:

I signed up for this forum just to ask you / tell you:

There does not seem TO BE ANY option in Tuneup Utiltiies to turn off the option to clean the Prefetch Data. Where r u seeing this option???

How do you get to this option? I have looked everywhere. Arggh.

I also have the following questions about Tuneup Utilities. Dunno if u can answer them. I emailed the company but haven't heard back:

To make it easier for you to answer - you can just answer in point form under each question if you want. :)

1. How do i prevent Tuneup Utilities from opening at Startup. I didn't see that option.

2. If I do prevent it from opening at Startup, will the changes I made in the wizard to improve my computer performance be reversed??

3.. Why is Tuneup Utilities taking FOREVER to load - not only at Startup, but when I try to open it from the taskbar, etc..? I do only have 256m of ram, but none of my other programs - even my Avira anti virus or my zone alarm take nearly as long.What's going on?

4.. How do I turn off the option to clean the Prefetch??

5. I like the changes it made to improving my DIALUP internet (yes i'm using dialup). info - the tcp info or whatever. But I'm wondering.. if I decide to Uninstall TuneUp utilities, because it seems to be slowing my actual computer down, will those tcp / internet changes be reversed, or will they stay improved?

6. Unlike most programs, if i accidentally click on the tuneup utilities icon in the taskbar more than once, the program opens more than one copy of itself - causing it to take FOREVER for all these copies of the same program to open! Shouldn't your programmers change this?

7. In this "System Performance" section, how do I see which changes it has already made where it says "Optimized." I can't remember all the changes it made, and I would like to find that out.

Thanks!

Scissorhands

Welcome to the Windows Forum.

1. How do i prevent Tuneup Utilities from opening at Startup. I didn't see that option.

Use a tool like Startup Inspector to find and disable startup items that are not shown by msconfig.

I do not know these "Tuneup Utilities", so I cannot answer any of the other questions.

• 1 year later...

My tuneup utilities 2009 tells me that the files in the prefetch folder, which contain the information about the startup process for windows and programs, were recently deleted.

How can I solve this problem?

Please help.

Thank you.

its not the tune up utilities that deleted the prefetch data.. probably.. you are using Kaspersky internet security...

check your kaspersky setting... go to TOOLS... then Privacy Cleaner..... then perform users activity tracers diagnostic,, then click next..

do not check the CLear prefetch cache.....

or check your anti virus setting.. (if not kaspersky)

thanks

• 9 months later...

I don't understand the answers that suggest that you can tell TuneUp to switch off the action that deletes pre-fetch data. It is TuneUp that is complaining about it!

The effect of having this data deleted can be profound. Your hard disc can quickly get heavily fragmented and some programs may freeze or crash.