StartUpMonitor

The Renamer

Tick

Tweakui

UltimateZip

Webtime

X-Fonter

XVid

The registry is a central part of the Windows operating systems. The data in the registry is stored in more than one file, each file called a hive, hence the beehive icon for RegCompact. On Windows95 and 98 there are two registry hives, System.dat and User.dat. On WindowsNT and 2000 there are System, Default, SAM, Security and Software hives. Most programs store their configuration data in the registry. Over time, as programs are installed and uninstalled, the registry becomes fragmented. Also, when data is removed from the registry it's space is not reclaimed until more data overwrites the empty space. This has a significant impact on the performance of Windows and programs that make heavy use of the registry. It is most evident at boot time and when running programs that use lots of COM classes (such as Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, any programs written in Visual Basic, and lots of commercial software). Whenever you install software data is written to the registry so the software can later be uninstalled.

What RegCompact Does:

RegCompact eliminates registry fragmentation by writing the data in the registry out into a temporary file. This data is written sequentially, so there are no holes from deleted data or fragmentation. RegCompact then reboots the system, and the compacted registry hives are replaced when the system starts up.

"I don't see SpybotSD there !!"

I'm hanging on for the new Adaware in February - if that doesn't appear then I'll probably install it.

I forgot one of the most important - 2xExplorer.Totally indispensable and replaces Windows Explorer which I probably haven't opened for over 6 months.

Regards

"I don't see SpybotSD there !!"

I'm hanging on for the new Adaware in February - if that doesn't appear then I'll probably install it.

I forgot one of the most important  - 2xExplorer.Totally indispensable and replaces Windows Explorer which I probably haven't opened for over 6 months.

Regards

Try it...you'll like it !!

regards,

bill :)

Guest Ddraigcoch

Some of my favourites freebies:

After Connect to load security programs once an Internet Connection is detected

Browser Hijacker Blaster to easily prevent your homepage and Internet Explorer being hijacked by spyware

Cookie Wall for managing your Cookies

Dependency Walker to see whether dll's are shared and dependent on other programs before uninstalling or removing programs

Easy Cleaner for cleaning the Registry and redundant files, but if you're running ME/XP, you need to type "help" in the skip field, to prevent it removing the htc registry entries

End It All to close multiple programs in one go, prior to shutdown or for installing software

XP Anti Spy to disable XP's "calling home" services

IE Spyad Registry file, to add known adware/spyware sites to your Restricted Sites Zone

Mailwasher to manage your Spam

HTA Stop, DSO Stop, Sock Lock to disable HTA's being downloaded, to patch the Data Source Object Browser Vulneribility and to lock your Winsock to prevent it being changed by Trojan/Spyware

Lavasoft Adaware 6 to scan and eliminate spyware

MRU Blaster to safely remove all your Most Recently Used Lists

PassLock to patch the MPR.dll to prevent it disclosing password information to spyware/trojans

RegistryProt to monitor the Run keys in the Registry, often changed by spyware and trojans

Regshot to take before and after shots of the Registry, allowing you to compare shots when installing software

Resource Hacker allows you to open exe files and change their contents

Spider for Win95/98 to clean out your temp, temporary internet files and empty your index.dat

Spyware Blaster to block known malicious Active X controls at source, to prevent your browser downloading them

Spybot S&D to scan and eliminate spyware, registry inconsistencies, now includes Immunization to block malicious Active X Controls

Spyblocker to monitor Port 80 (http) blocking web bugs, cookies, ads, spyware, worms, CSS, websites, scripts scanners. It's not free, but at £14 is well worth the money

StartMan to manage your start up programs, especially useful for Win95 and Win2K users

Wow - with this kind of stuff pinned, it makes me wonder why I bother with PCa.

No contributions from me (sorry), you've covered it - but I need a utility for opening RAR files. Was wondering what works best for XP, doesn't cost or bugger the system about. As unobtrusive as possible - if you have any suggestions as I didn't see anything mentioned...

Thanks

Win Ace (Shareware) - what you reckon?