Morachi Chincholi = peacock sanctuary village

Hello Tanmaya, from the photographs & description your home town sounds delightful. We also have wild peacocks like that here in Sri Lanka. It's amazing to see them in their natural habitats. The poor males have to work really hard to get the attention of the females, who just continue eating seeds from the ground while the desparate male dances in front of her displaying his enormous flamboyant tail feathers. :)

Hey Dencandy,

Indeed its very nice to stay with them in natural habitats at my home. As its June and rainy season has started over here... So one can be able to take glimpse of "desperate Peacock dances in front of her displaying his enormous flamboyant tail feathers".... :flowers:

Some people in the UK keep them too. There is a nearby house with a large garden, they have several. Luckily they are just far enough away for us NOT to hear. When I go for a walk and pass their garden, the shrieking noise can be awful when they are getting fruity with each other. :D

In the mid '70s I bought an old farm house to renovate and extend to house my mother and father. The land which had formerly belonged to the farmhouse, along with many of the buildings had been turned into a game farm. This enterprise bred and reared quail, pheasant, partridge, deer and peacock.

There were a couple of breeding pairs of the latter in a large pen just across from the back of our patch.

I had a large old concrete mixer with a large old Lister petrol engine. It was one of the old sort that used to pop...pop...pop....pop and was almost devoid of a silencer.

Without fail whenever I went to start is up, which was at some time or other virtually every day for months, one of the cock birds would let out that wailing noise.

I would start to wind the handle and then the sequence went pop........pop......pop....pop...pop ...squaaaawk.

I can never hear a concrete mixer now without missing those peacocks.

One of the males escaped once and flew up onto our house roof. When we got up to get it down the stupid animal flew straight into a big holly bush and got stuck in it. We got fairly well prickled extracting it from the foliage.

Hi All,

Thanks for everyone's reply on this beautiful creature of nature, but I am a bit surprised here. This forum contains 9,976 registered members, out of which no a single is from India? :0

May they have missed this post to check. B)

Hi All,

Thanks for everyone's reply on this beautiful creature of nature, but I am a bit surprised here. This forum contains 9,976 registered members, out of which no a single is from India? :0

May they have missed this post to check. B)

People come and go. Only a few who have joined are regularly active. :D

People come and go. Only a few who have joined are regularly active. :D

hmmm..;

But Thanks for visiting my new website. I've noticed increase in number of visitors within last 5 to 6 days for my website. Really good sign for me :flowers: B)