They're At It Again

Guest LB

Good to see that those who massage the figures haven't lost their touch.....

The number of people applying for asylum in the UK has halved, falling to 3,610 in June 2003, according to new figures.

The Government is now on track to deliver on its promise to reduce by half the 8,770 applications in October 2002 by September 2003.

There was an increase of 20 per cent in the number of principal asylum applicants removed in the second quarter of 2003. This is on top of a record 65,460 immigration offenders removed in 2002.

Action to tackle illegal immigration included moving UK border controls to France. This step stopped 4,000 people reaching the UK illegally during the first half of this year.

Mr Blunkett said the tough measures to tackle asylum abuse were now working. He added:

"The notion that nothing can be done and Government action is failing is clearly proven to be wrong by today's figures.

"Those who now claim that this is an easy target said exactly the opposite when the numbers were high. The basis on which the figures are compiled and validated has not changed. However, we must not underestimate the challenge we face in sustaining the progress made."

Mr Blunkett said the Government had to continue to build public confidence so that 'we can welcome the legal migrants the UK needs to sustain economic growth and give a safe haven to those who need our protection.'

I live and work in London's east end ........ And I swear to you its now becoming central eastern European............

Its changed very noticably in the last 5 years.................

The last couple of times that Ive been through customs (Portsmouth ,Santander and St Marlo) in a 4 wheel drive ,all I had to do was stick my passport on the car dashboard and drive through......

I could have had a bootload of god knows what instead of the wine cases , and who would know.........

There are no checks.........

Its all bollax.............!