Help With BIOS Boot Settings

AlanHo

My computer would not boot up - displaying a message "Reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

I dived into the BIOS settings and found that In the Boot > Hard disk Drives menu the hard drive containing my OS was no longer at the top of the list - it had moved to the bottom for no known reason. I moved it to the top of the list and it fixed the problem.

I have 3 internal hard drives and noticed that when you move a drive "up" or "down" the list by pressing the - or + keys, the drive at the top moves to the bottom and the other drives move up a place. It is not possible to move a drive up the list on its own - the list seems to rotate in fixed order.

The same applies when I alter the boot device priority - the drives rotate in fixed order.

My boot device priority is as follows

1st Boot device.....IDE HL-DT-STDVD (An LG DVD read/writer)

2nd Boot device....IDE HL-DT-STDVD (A second LG DVD read/writer)

3rd Boot device.....1st Floppy Drive (I have no why idea this appears - I do not have a floppy drive installed)

4th Boot device.....SATA: WDC WD3200 (The 320 GB hard drive containing Windows 7)

5th Boot device.....ATAPI CD-ROM (I have no idea what this is)

My boot priority setting ensures that I can boot from either DVD drive before the hard drive.

However - as previously mentioned - it is not possible to move the Floppy and ATAPI CD ROM drives to the bottom of the list and leave the two DVDs at the top followed directly by the hard drive...................................or is it? Also - why does the floppy drive appear in the list when I do not have one installed.

ASUS Mobo. American Magatrends BIOS.

I have American Megatrends Bios on an Asus mother board. Mine works by pressing F8 repeatedly from boot up, then I get a window that asks which drive I want to boot up from. I click up or down with the arrows and then press enter and everything then goes fine. Unlike other mother boards and Bios, I press F5 to get safe mode, not F8. Try this out, and select your hard drive to boot from. :D

Alan go into the BIOS and set the Floppy and ATAPI CD ROM to disabled in the boot menu.

Also in the BIOS set the floppy disk controller to disabled, this is done from the first page and comes under Legacy diskette A, after making the changes press F10 then enter.

Thank you for that information - done and dusted. Exactly what I was looking for - and seems to have knocked a few seconds off the boot up time.