Peer 2 Peer File Sharing

Guest LB

do you use it  

18 members have voted

1. 1. do you use it

• yes
    • no

***Any links to File sharing or Warez will be deleted and the postee banned***

Quite a little community has been built up here over the last 9 months with some characters that have some quite strong views. Alot of us have emigrated from PCA where things like free speech and having a valid opinion are often frowned upon. Its not like that here. It is recognised that many people think differently to each other and that most people have a point to make, however strange that may be.

It is with that in mind that i messaged one of the mods asking if it was ok to set up a debate on the morals / pros / cons and wherewhatevers of Peer 2 Peer file sharing.

To set it out from the beginning, i neither condemn nor condone file sharing, i am not going to advocate it in this thread and would encourage no one to break the law, however i'm sure that we all have a view.

So people, without openly admitting if we file share and trying not to totally destroy those who do, what are your views?

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

I personally don't have a problem with people downloading the odd mp3 or piece of software,and I'm sure the law would feel the same.

If I walked into my local police station and told the chap on the desk that I'd just downloaded an mp3,I'd be more likely to be sent to the nuthouse than be arrested.

Policemen download mp3's.So do judges,teachers,politicians and solicitors.Members of all our families download media via P2P as do many our friends.

Should we really criminalise all of these people?

The people who are doing wrong are the ones downloading material 24 hours a day,burning the stuff to cdroms and hawking them on car boot sales and markets as origionals.

They are the ones who actually profit from copyright material,the criminals.

SOMEONE is going to reply to this saying neither they,their family nor indeed any of their friends download copyright material of any kind...indeed they don't record movies on their VCR and have never recorded music from the radio....ever.

Yeah right..pull the other one,it's got bells on :P

Cheers.

Shirl.

Guest Nellie2
I actually use P2P to get viruses to look at cos they never seem to end up in my inbox

Blimey........ if I'd have known that i could have sent you a copy of the Sobig that I have just splatted!!!!!

I was reading an article in the Guardian the other day which basically said that the record industry has been forced to drop the price of CD's because of the P2P thing, which has resulted in sales going up which means that the music industry is the healthiest it has been for ages......... as a direct result of P2P filesharing!!!!!

the guardian

you should have done a poll lived so people could vote who use it without saying it in public,got a feeling theres more users on this site than you think but would never admit it ;)done one

Guest Shirley_Crabtree
File sharing.....never. Bit like having unprotected sex in Africa.

All the recent talk of viruses etc..........I've never had one single virus, ever, on this machine.

Open your machine up to the world, get stung.....tough.

I've had loads of virus threats (all swiftly dealt with by AVG) and not one of them has been incurred by P2P software.

File sharing is a dirty word (ok 2 dirty words) amongst some other forum users.I know for a fact that some of the other major forum contributors,the type of idiots who go as far as comparing piracy with rape(LOL) are the sort of guys who email you offers of warez on a disk when you ask for a cheap solution for a problem.

This,of course,is nothing to do with this forum but serves as an example of double standards.

I'll say this once,and once only.....a lot of the people who shout the loudest against warez on other forums are the ones who privately email you links or indeed their own address offering warez for the price of a disk!!!!

They're just so far up PT's a$$ they could never admit it.

There,I've said it.

If I've broken some unwritten code then I apologise as I'm not involved...If I've built up some points on my warning thing.....hey...It's been worth it....None of us are saints!

{edit - you are entirely entitled to your opinion Shirl..... just had to edit your post slightly so that we can keep your opinion here. :) }

I don't like it when the music industry say that they are loosing money (they still make a hell of a lot of profit).

The fact is people are just not buying as much music as they used to.

There is a lot more now for people to spend there money on, namely video games, and what with all the boy and girl bands flooding the market most of it sounds the same (to me) any way.

And what ever happend to releasing 6 or 7 songs off an album, you get 2 or 3 songs released now cos the rest arn't that good, then comes a new album.

And it really winds me up when you get a band that is say 2 years old and has had 2 or 3 albums and they bring out a Greatest Hits cd, and what with all the compalation cd's eg.. the Now series (what are they upto at the moment Now 60-70?), how many times do they want to sell a song to us.

They have to reduce there prices and stop trying to sell people the same songs over & over again, in order for people to stop downloading them and go out and buy them.

my little rant Over

I do use P2P software, not all the time, but mostly for getting older songs that i have mostly had in the past, either on recoerd, tape or CD.

All the best

Tony

LOL ! If you iron my hankies :D

You know, it's actually a breach of copyright to just view a page which contains copyrighted material ? That's because the page is copied into RAM and that technically constitutes a copy. It follows that strict observance of copyright law would render the Internet unusable. In fact, if your avatar was copyrighted then you could post any copyrighted material with relative impunity as any daft bugger that wanted to sue you for posting it could be countersued for reading your post. Making a record of your post for evidence would also constitute copyright infringement. Such is the tangled web that greedy bast**ds weave.