I have a beef with Flash plug-ins, looking for a web browser

dc2000

Hi everyone:

I don't know if anyone noticed this. I have a real beef with some sites and the flash plug-ins they have on them. Almost all commercial sites (anything from Hotmail, to MySpace) have a ton of annoying flash clips. They put up so much of that junk on those sites that it is not only esthetically disgusting (some flashing shirtless men or ugly yellow teeth commercial), but they are also slowing the site down quite a lot. For those who want to see it for themselves, load up any site with a number of Flash plug-ins (to make sure that those are Flash, right-click them and see if the pop-up menu has an item that says something like, "About Adobe Flash Player"), then for PC open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del on the keyboard), and switch to the Processes tab and find the line with your browser, or look for the process that takes up a good deal of CPU time (check the column with the CPU percentage value).

Worse still, I sometimes leave certain forum sites on to check if any replies were posted, so the site stays on for a long time (maybe for several days, or even longer) and to my amazement, some of those sites also ramp up the memory usage. I made a test, and when one of such sites was just opened, the Mem Usage in Task Manager was reported at 128,000K, which by itself is a lot!, then I left it on for a couple of days. At the end of the day three, the memory usage was reported at 300,000K and the Firefox was running at 60% CPU usage all the time.

In light of this, I was curious if there's a way in any known web browser to disable certain Flash plug-ins on a per-click basis?

Here's what I mean. Obviously there's an option to disable Flash altogether, but I wouldn't go that far, since many sites have legitimate and well-written Flash movies. What I'd really like to have is a functionality built into a web browser that allowed to, say, right-click a Flash plug-in (or even a picture) and have a toggle switch to Turn it On and Off and unload it from the browser. Wouldn't it be nice?

You could also try GreaseMonkey and get the scripts from User Scripts.org for the more popular social networking and crap websites.

This will inject JavaScript scripts into the web page as they are being rendered to alter the way they appear in your browser. Like with Myspace, Facebook and stuff, it can get rid of all those annoying ads, useless app invites, loads of other stuff.