Connection woes

artist

We bought a hub thingy (dongle?) for the old PC with XP to connect it to the new router. See problems elsewhere..

I had to call in a chap to finally sort out why it wouldn't connect. Incredibly it was because the two PCs had the same name! Anyway - it now connects just fine but the dial-up keeps on wanting to do the connection and incoming mail just won't. Outgoing is fine. The laptop has been fine all through and I copied the configurations from that - not that there was much to change - so it should be working the same. The internet is ok.

I have Tiscali - bought now by Talk Talk. I tried their forum but it's not easy on there for technical stuff.

The laptop has been fine all through and I copied the configurations from that

I should recheck this area. I remember that there is a section where you indicate what sort of connection you want to use.

Similar to sections 4 and 5 in this:-
/>http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=42&t=43945

The laptop has been fine all through and I copied the configurations from that

I should recheck this area. I remember that there is a section where you indicate what sort of connection you want to use.

Similar to sections 4 and 5 in this:-
/>http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=42&t=43945

The link doesn't go anywhere?

You are quite correct. It is a load of rubbish created by ABC (absolute bloody carelessness).

After I had types the first sentence of my reply I suddenly thought that I might be able to find an illustration on the net, so I opened another window and went looking. The first thing I found was a Talktalk/Tiscali site with exactly what I was looking for so I copied the address.

I returned here and pasted it and posted it.

How http://windowsforum has crept in I do not know.

I have just spent half an hour looking for it again and it seems to have disappeared down the plug hole.

The sad thing is, as we keep getting reminded, the older one gets etc. etc.and I can not remember the "exact" wording I fed into Google.

I shall continue looking.....but do not hold your breath.

The sad thing is, as we keep getting reminded, the older one gets etc. etc.and I can not remember which day it is...so it gets booked at standard rate.

One thing I can remember is my father saying things like, "Never start something you can not finish." "If you say you will do something, then do it."

It has caused me endless problems trying to stick to his wisdom.