Latency problens on high CPU load

justforgarbage

In Windows7 I experience packet latency problems (unstable lags up to 200-1200 ms), on high CPU load (doesn't happen when CPU is loaded by low-priority process, though). Easily noticeable by ping time from outside (same LAN, no extra layers). Also, this doesn't happen with Linux on the same hardware. What can I try doing to solve this problem?

If it is causing no problems (Audio/Video dropout or gaming issues) Dont worry too much about it.

Viruses, Trojans, and Malicious software will slow things up and could be why you are experiencing it on 7 and not Linux.

Run anti-malware such as Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware. Both of these are good at digging out hidden rootkits.

Defrag the system, and run NTREGOPT from ERUNT. - Dont use a registry cleaner !

Make sure your firewall is not giving things the hiccups. (i.e Turn it off and see if things improve)

Windows operating systems are usually going to have more going on in the background than Linux.

Take this into consideration.

If you use this website: http://serviceseditor.com/ you can start to turn certain services off, safe in the knowledge that you can get back to default settings pretty quickly.

Microsoft used to do a freeware tool called RATTV3 for checking out device driver problems which could affect latency. I dont know if it is still available or even if it would work with Windows 7 or Vista.

Update and suspect software drivers. Generally spruce up, clean, and update the system.

Here are a couple of things you may find useful:

/>http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/DPC-Latency-Checker.shtml (Free Software)

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doKuGD6Nt3s

Good luck

John.

Hmmmm........ Perhaps I got too technical for the guy. :(

Never mind. I expect a few more people learnt something about latency problems.

So we managed to turn it into a "Everyday is a learning day" kinda exercise.

Never did like wasting writing paper. :P

John.

For more info:

1. Note that I'm running this on single-core CPU. But if my memory doesn't fail me completely, subj. problem was not present sometime before. (my memory fails me too much to remember after what actions this problem appeared)

2. In Quake Live's lagometer this problem usually looks like frequent lag spikes. Certainly, making it completely unplayable.

3. In periodic ICMP requests it looks like very unstable latencies (slightly annotated ping log from LAN server here: http://pastebin.com/PbzsjpVw).

4. When there's no full CPU load, network works pretty well. Does it go through some user-level process or something?..

... No viruses (SUPERAntiSpyware didn't find any, at least. I'll get more throughout check when I find USB-bootable antivirus image)

no firewalls,

minimal services (perhaps too minimal? What services can affect this so weirdly?),

TCPOptimizer didn't help with this,

RATTV3 works, but looks like it doesn't recognize particular drivers on Windows 7 (giving just "Unknown"). I'll see into that more.

And, uhm, I didn't get e-mail notification about your first reply. And didn't boot into Windows in those days anyway.

And so.........

"And these latency problems affect your computing experience in which manner ?

(Just to satisfy those reading this post)"

Keep it simple so that some of the less experienced computer users can understand the technology.

"justforgarbage" - Timewaster, ego polisher, or one who wishes to teach, and pass on his experiences with others ? - We wait and see.

C'mon. - Rise to the challenge and explain yourself in a manner that can be understood by the person who has just bought a new computer and knows nothing about computers. You know you can do it. :)

Help make this forum "A learning zone"

John.

And these latency problems affect your computing experience in which manner ?

I think this question is already answered, but whatever.

Primary and most noticeable problem is lag in games, making some of them unplayable.

I think there are other problems, but can't say anything precisely. Everything just always works worse than I usually expect. (Sorry for looking so much as a troll.)

so that some of the less experienced computer users can understand the technology

Uhm… Generally, knowledge on the level you're suggesting can be pretty much collected into one large but complete FAQ.

For those less experienced who suddenly get the same problem (or, maybe, similar one), solution would be helpful, not the process of finding it.

And, after all, I'm not sure anymore how less experienced user would perceive this problem (and tell it apart from large set of problems that look just like this — like running torrents while playing online without using any QoS-like technology).

For those wishing for fun I'll maybe try to get some Quake Live lagometer screenshots. Although I'd guess the lagometer itself might be viewed as too technical thing >.>

For the solution finding — is there some sufficiently compact description of what way in the system ICMP answering goes, and, especially, where the hell does it go to user-level processes?

(since nearest shotgun-debugging solutions didn't work...)

• 1 year later...