Windows Updates

JohnKing

I an running windows xp. I have had a couple of bad virus attacks, a browser hijacker and an anti virus pop up. I have Avast installed and Malwarebytes. I have scanned with both of these and removed infected files, however they come back once re-connected to the internet. I have cleaned the system again but am reluctant to re-connect until I am sure I have done everything to stop the problem re-occuring. Because I have been away for some time I have not kept up with windows updates. When I am online I have found it impossible to connect to windows updates and wonder if a virus is causing this. My question, it seems that service pack 3 includes all the updates, I am on service pack 2. If I download sp3 to disc on another machine and then install it on my machine, is this ok? Also, any other advice would be appreciated before I re-connect.

If I download sp3 to disc on another machine and then install it on my machine, is this ok?

Yes you can install SP3 in this way.

I would however suggest that if these infections have re-occurred after being "cured" then it would not be advisable to update to SP3 until they have really gone.

Have you run your malwareBytes full scan in Safe Mode, rather than from within normal Windows ?

Which infections have you suffered from ?

Malware often hides within the System Restore files. Turn this facility off before you scan with A/V and A/S software. Unless, of course you can restore back to a time before these infections occurred.

If the anti-virus pop-up is a thing called AntiVir then that is a devil to get rid of. I've dealt with infection of this by doing a complete re-install of the operating system - the alternative removal methods available at the time I had to deal with this were extraordinarily complicated and a re-install seemed the only reasonable option.

This may be of interest http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivir

Many thanks for your replies.

I did turn off windows restore before a full scan with av and a full scan with malwarebytes in safe mode.

Anti vir is one of the infections also a browser redirection hijack. After the scans and removal of infected

files I have run the computer sucessfully all day without problem unconected to the internet. Should I now

install sp3 before I re-connect and are there any other issues I should address?

By all means load SP3 before re-connecting to the Internet but, from my experiences with Antivir, I'm doubtful of the success of doing this. As I mentioned above, a re-install was easier than the complete removal of Antivir

A fresh re-install of Windows XP followed by SP3 would be the way I would do it.

Check in your internet options.That is where your redirection is most likely taking place.

I've had to deal with this myself in the past and without a secondary PC to get help,it took me two straight days to figure it all out.

See screen shot below.That is where my hijack took place.It checked the box without an address.

See Internet options for XP>XP INTERNET AND NETWORK

Hope this helps. :hi: