I have a problem with my modem being too light for ADSL2

Lamb Chop

Not sure if this is the right place but here goes.

I have a D Link DSL200 and it is not capable of taking they tell me -ADSL2 - has been running on it for 3 months to date and if is is 7.2mbps or under fine - but sometimes goes higher and then continually drops out. Emailed D Link support and they said should buy DSL526B which has an Ethernet connection for my laptop but I run a desk top Dell 530S Inspiron which I quoted them. I checked the back of the tower and I seem to have the right connection for this.

But firstly is there anyway of checking it out first off via the computer internally?

Secondly ringing around to get idea of price and stock etc retailers all tell me it is not the preferred brand. Netgear is - and since I have never heard of it thought I would ask you guys as always give me and others good advice.

No one has the D Link DSL 526B in stock so have to order in but before doing that as fed up with dropping out which happens mid afternoon when for some reason it speeds up - so is it worth worrying and I have hesitated etc but today thought ask on the windows forum silly billy! And someone will enlighten you!

I've consistently used Netgear - ever since I first had an Internet connection.

The new models are easy to set up, they almost do it themselves after you have provided a password to connect with.

I would have no hesitation in swapping.

I've consistently used Netgear - ever since I first had an Internet connection.

The new models are easy to set up, they almost do it themselves after you have provided a password to connect with.

I would have no hesitation in swapping.

If I have the ethernet port to connect to - I take it then dont need anything else?

Just buy it and connect?

Let us know how you get on.

I will - but local store had sold their one stock item when I got there and asking them to ring the next 2 towns along the coast to save a drive - they too had sold out. Must be time for upgrade.

Will get one this week later on 4-5 days delivery - I will return!:rolleyes:

I don't know the buying situation where you are but I've almost never bought any computer equipment or parts from a local store - far too expensive compared with buying online. That might be a bit of a problem if you don't have Internet access, as with me once, but a look at magazine ads. and a phone call soon fixed things up.

I don't know the buying situation where you are but I've almost never bought any computer equipment or parts from a local store - far too expensive compared with buying online. That might be a bit of a problem if you don't have Internet access, as with me once, but a look at magazine ads. and a phone call soon fixed things up.

Tried that - sure parts are a lot cheaper on line but all from Australia and I live down in Tasmania - so by the time they add the freight it is higher than local because the freight is subsidized by the Federal Government down to Tassie so we dont pay more than mainland Australia etc. So works out cheaper to buy local.

IE I wanted a new chair for computer - it was around $107 on line but adding freight came out at $180 but down here found one hunting around same make etc for $169. Has to be the freight subsidy although the locals still moan saying don't get it but they do - show up when you check on line.

BUT after saying that some things are cheaper on line if I buy from UK or USA etc. so someone is making a profit on freight and this will come to light now that the retailers are complaining about on line purchases overseas having no Goods and Services Tax 10% which applies to everything but unlike VAT does not seemingly come off but gets added to everything without that deduction back etc. Plus unlike VAT is not added at the till but incorporated in the prices so cant check it out easily.We don't pay GST on food you have to cook but on all biscuits cold drinks ice creams medicines except prescription and every single other thing you can think of including electricity phone line gas and other necessities of life.

Stinks really VAT is not on food or wasn't last time I was in UK.

Totally off topic Lamb Chop but if you misbehave you could well meet my brother in law

Does that make him a rarer species these days - a policeman? (due to Labour state government budget cuts because they can never learn to manage our money)

Or maybe a lawyer - who are not rare enough :lol:

The first but I think he's into drugs these days, in the north

Right place maybe Tassie is parochial - 3 areas - south, north east and north west.

Still waiting for my new router - but then the old D link is staying connected much of the time - just disconnects when the speed gets up to over 7.2 and then get message 678 which means modem and ISp server different speeds or so I am led to believe. Once it slow down a bit reconnects. Stirling work by D Link made for 2MBps and close to 9 years old.