Bit of a problem - no sign of D Link anywhere but in program files

Lamb Chop

Ok I now have a router for ADSL2 and filters etc all ready to go but find that I have no sign of D Link on start>Programs nor on task bar and using Control/programs>remove> not listed. Also tried CCleaner - not listed. And Revo Uninstaller not listed. Now going to stop hardware - then properties can click properties and disable it. Link is working today as yo see as only 6.5MBps but once it gets up to 7.1 drops out and some days more than that which is why need to change over.

How did it get like this - dont ask - lost connections - got in recommended tech - he took it away - got it back in state he thinks should be with all my programs gone and his recommended on plus 2 virus's - didn't discover until later trying lately that can no longer reconfigure or uninstall D Link etc.

Not sure how to uninstall D Link. I can use safely stop hardware>properties to disable it and also could perhaps just send the file from hard disc programs files to be recycled and reboot.

I can connect if the speed is less than 7.1 so will not do try to put on the new router and see if it works because if I lost D Link couldnt get out to read any answer.

On Connections I have Intel ® 82562V-2-10/100 network under Lan/High Speed

Internet and of course D Link is under Dial Up.

So I am asking

1. if I disable D Link and unplug it - if cant get the new one to work can replug it and get back on line to fathom out next move etc.

2. having done above then back on line with working ethnernet connections can I then send D Link to recycle bin and will that uninstall it as not sure where else it can be as not showing up anywhere but it is there as when I tried its disc it said already installed so it found itself!

1 Just unplug it then you can just plug it back in

2 I can't see why you should need to do anything with your present router, if you unplug it and plug the new one in the old one will not come into play as the settings are in the router (I may be wrong)

1 Just unplug it then you can just plug it back in

2 I can't see why you should need to do anything with your present router, if you unplug it and plug the new one in the old one will not come into play as the settings are in the router (I may be wrong)

Thanks for that Rong :D - I will give it a go - just a bit nervous I guess.

I feel better now - ha ha - theme of the private medical insurance TV ads here and this forum :flowers: is our computer insurance so fits.

From what I understand in previous posts, your existing connection is via a USB modem ?

- which is now being replaced by an ADSL2 Modem router.

So, what rong says is correct - you will of course have to set up the new router first.

From what I understand in previous posts, your existing connection is via a USB modem ?

- which is now being replaced by an ADSL2 Modem router.

So, what rong says is correct - you will of course have to set up the new router first.

If it is an USB modem then I had mine installed for ages after I got my router

OK I have now set up the new router and connected here.

It all seemed to be working - but I ended up with a plug into the phone - I have extension on it - having unplugged D Link and put it all in its box - so that I didnt mix bits up etc. Used the Netgear filter for both phone and ADSL and then into phone line - its working and connected. Could go back to starting off on dial up and then changing to Broadband and I have forgotten - senior moments have struck maybe and never needed it for broadband - first time I changed the ISP guided me to set up and didn't tell me to unplug one bit needed for dial up but not for broadband and maybe this is a carry over too :wub:

BUT

I got my incoming mail but then decided to test by sending myself one.

Didnt get it back! I have done a second - still not getting anything back from myself but incoming still being received. :rolleyes:

Not sure what I should do now - loath going through the pain of reaching out to the techs at the ISP have a problem with their accents and they with mine - dont know why I speak the Queen's English with an ox-bridge accent overlaid with a bit of Aussie :D

So thought ask. Old brain is reeling having gone hither and not found a problem

BTW I have noticed the lights all green tend to 'shiver' a bit now and then - didnt find anything re this in the manual. Just green for go etc.

Email has fixed itself - maybe because I shut it down and rebooted it - jsut did that but it was up to 30 odd minutes since sent the last one and had tried to receive.

BTW another question - when I check the icon on the task bar it says 100mbps but of course it is nothing like that as ADSL2 - so why is this as the router is 24 mbps max. Speed test showed just above what I pay for.

Sorry to be a nuisance :Blond-Moment:

Email has fixed itself - maybe because I shut it down and rebooted it - jsut did that but it was up to 30 odd minutes since sent the last one and had tried to receive.

BTW another question - when I check the icon on the task bar it says 100mbps but of course it is nothing like that as ADSL2 - so why is this as the router is 24 mbps max. Speed test showed just above what I pay for.

Sorry to be a nuisance :Blond-Moment:

Iv'e never understood that either

The lights on all the routers I have seen blink when they are being used, if you are not useing it at the time it is probably something checking for an update

@Boris thanks for explaing that I have made a note of it in my book I keep on all these things - makes sense.

@Rong - also thanks for explaining the blinking lights - worried me at bit.

I have had to re-plug the router - I had used the filter with router and phone but it kept going red on connections - so today used the plug extension and just put the filter on the phone line and the router separate. Worked.

Thanks for all the help.:lol: