Still havin gproblems now with Netgear DM111pv2

Lamb Chop

Background:- Couldn't fix the problem with D Link so bought a Netgear router because it has higher capacity for speed etc.

Now it is always losing its IP address which is assigned seemingly randomly or so I have figured out but then being close to 73rd birthday maybe wrong.

I have spent hours on the phone with my ISP whose techs are in Malaysia and they have fixed me up except for losing connection every day around 4.30pm - 530pm but as I shut down around then no problem. Lived with it.

Now it has started to drop out all day or not at all - so lately spend my time trying to get connected. Various ways. Windows does a repair and this works at times.

I have updated firmware version on the router.

And looking around found this test and result.

Not sure what is going on - my line of site to exchange is 1715m and told this is good. I have had my electrician in and checked out phone lines and all are good now - one repair on kitchen phone. No noise to speak of according to test.

Was going well except for evening cut off etc but dropping out day time - not acceptable.

Your IP address changes because your ISP is giving you a dynamic rather than a static address.

In your other thread I mentioned that your problem with this particular router are quite common according to Google.

Your IP address changes because your ISP is giving you a dynamic rather than a static address.

In your other thread I mentioned that your problem with this particular router are quite common according to Google.

Thanks Boris understood that - and still working on getting connected without this hassle.

I have updated since then on versions for router.

Seems I couldn't load the ping file which I used Paint for and went to My Pictures as too big. then couldn't edit after trying too many times.

Appears my image of failed pings was too big to upload and cant get it to cut and paste.

Found this test by clicking on properties and it gave me the Intel connection used by my computer for ethernet. Tested the connection etc. Several ping addresses.

"Says this adapter is configured to obtain IP address automatically. From DHCP server.

then goes on to say Pinged gateways all failed and no Wins server available for this connection."

By clicking onto the task bar icon windows can repair it by clearing cache and assigning new IP address but surely this is not to happen constantly on some days? Doesn't always clear either and I try turning off the router and waiting for 2 mins and then booting it up etc - works usually but not always - on comes the red light for internet connection.

surely this is not the router not being able to keep an IP address? or is it?

Not sure if it will help with your problem and you will need someone to explain it to you as it was years ago when I was getting drop outs, there is a number possibly the MTU Size that can be lowered but you will need Boris or someone to confirm this. My opinion on some of your problems is that it is your ISP is cutting the speeds to much as you seem to be getting the drop outs at the same times each day. My drop out problems started when my provider was sold to Tiscali a company well known for cutting speeds.

Who is your ISP ?

Dodo.com.au

Low cost provider.

Others I have approached say not got the right equipment but many on forums I have read re many of these ISPs say they say that, after asking your usage, and if low like mine, say no as cant be bothered. Who knows if true or false. Most plans seem to be for high users.

I have spent most of the day trying to find out from Googling again and reading through the many reports of disconnections on this particular modem/router whatever - cant decide now if it is a router or a modem but it is the only one and I think I have sussed out that if you have wireless you have this modem plus a router (WGR) and then attached to your computer and so a lap top can connect etc. Since one computer only - only have the modem stand alone.

Also have changed the DSL to Auto was on 1500 as read someone say it helped them. Still been dropping out all morning which makes for slow day! But has not dropped out as often since changing to auto - maybe a bit of a help there! Also managed at las to change the password to get into the 192.168 netgear modem on line in case someone can use mine or some such - I don't know but did it anyway. Tried before didn't take but after several goes it has ! You read of folk driving around looking to use someone else's bandwidth for free!

Still under warranty and I seemingly can get a number from Netgear and return it to retailer. Others are doing this. Over last 2 years too.

I also cant upload the firmware - one version behind - because having downloaded it twice - both times it says Failed contains an illegal image.

So not the download maybe - a fault in the file itself? Also noted on forums including Netgear own so they must know! Also now see most say not a good response from Netgear but when I was trying to get a New D Link tried many stockists here and on the mainland (Australia) and all didn't stock it but recommended Same as I bought.

@rong

My plan is out of date with Dodo and recently they offered me another plan taking over my home phone etc which I refused - since then it has dropped out more during the day - cynical but maybe they can do that? They did once cut me off and then apologised saying a mistake - could only reach their site and my page which said "this after hours number has been blocked by our systems contact Dodo on etc." Then they said my plan was no longer supported and I had to change it. I did complain to the Ombudsman for which they get fined if proven and he did say they should not have done this! So maybe they are dropping me out do you think?

On my current home page they have me as blank under contract - as didn't sign up on last change above. But as they did over the phone ones a bit dodgy eh! I made a note of last contract and it is well out of date. When they tried to get me to sign up recently - they did the contract bit and I hung up on them startled and a bit annoyed - they rang back and I told them I was not interested in changing at this time.

My home phone provider is the main wholesaler for all Broadband and now is doing a plan for ADSL2+ cheaper than what I am paying for 1500/264 with the phone. Just started offering with budget home phone before was bundled with lots of other things like mobile phones and Pay TV which I cant afford or need. Labor has started rolling out NBN fibre to the home via power lines and is competition to Telstra too.

You read of folk driving around looking to use someone else's bandwidth for free!

That only applies if you are using a wireless router. :)

Your Netgear is not wireless, and only has one ethernet connection on the back - so you cannot be hacked into unless you get burglars - who I assume you would notice :)

The latest version of the firmware you need is :-

Version 2.00.27 - For users outside Americas

Download from here :-

Well that worked :flowers: You gave me a unzipped file.

Maybe my unzipper is corrupted!

I had printed out how to and it did it all and now I will wait to see it that makes a difference.

I did notice that first off it went to PPoE but said out of range and then I put in PPoA and it was happy and I connected here.

Time will tell and thanks also for no worries re hacking into modem.

I have a very large black East German Shepherd male who sleeps in the office and has his own doggie door so free run of the rear of the property and inside of the house - doubt I would sleep through a burglar coming face to face with him :D

Lets hope this fixes the problem for good eh!

Once again thanks for taking the trouble to help :friends:

Ok dropped out at 5.29pm on 2.9.11 did reconnect after a while

Dropped out at 5.39pm on 3.9.11 shut down

4.9 dropped out at 5.44pm on 4.9.11 shut down

5.9. dropped out at 5.42pm could not reconnect shut down.

Fine today from 10am until around 3pm then dropped out and got low connectivity message prior to that red light on computer. Could not get it reconnected using windows repair at all. No IP address obtained it said.

When I check status it says lease obtained lease expires in around 5mins every time. Dont understand that bit at all!

So went to connections and properties to see what happening

and this is what I found.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diagnostic on Modem Netgear DM 111Pv2

Outcome [on Intel R8256V-210-100/network C]

This adapter is configured to obtain an IP address automatically.

No DHCP server is present on the network.

Windows selected an IP address using Alternative Private IP Addressing.

No gateway is available for this connection.

No DNS server is available for this connection.

No WINS server is available for this connection.

Failed Ping Network 169.254.255.255

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So went back to connections and did another windows repair and again it then was able to connect.

Is this usual for this type of connection - seems off to me - always losing the IP address seemingly. Have seen this over and over again.

I know her again - sorry :blush: