Spazzy internet disconnections

Chimetals

Ive done a decent amount of searching for this problem, and although ive found some similar ones, none have the exact symptoms that ive been having.

i recently downloaded an online game (dragon nest), along with two of my friends, also running windows 7. One friend has the same make and model of laptop as me, the other friend is my roommate.

The issue that ive been having is that while playing the game, i get frequently disconnected. The game doesnt seem to lag at all, and if anything, runs smoother than anything else ive had on my computer. However, it still disconnects me every 2-7 minutes, on average. It also disconnects me randomly--where most people seem to have issues at loading screens, I will be disconnected in the middle of a field, middle of a fight, in the middle of talking to an npc or moving--never the same thing twice. I thought that the issue was limited to the mmo, but last night i was on a skype video call with my friend, and the call started getting dropped every 2-7 minutes. Ive never had this issue with videocall before, and have made calls from the same room and with the same settings in the past with no problems.

Im running windows 7, on a dell inspiron laptop, and have already tried refreshing the router, turning off the IPv6 everythings, and updating my realtek network controller. The internet connection is an ethernet, through a linksys router, standard to my school, and i have no issues browsing the internet, nor does the internet go down for periods of time--its like it drops out for a second, and causes me to disconnect.

ive also rummaged through the dragon nest forums, with no luck. let me know if you need any more details, thanks in advance.

Try a temporary swap of your router with another which hasn't shown this dropping out - just to check whether your router is at fault. You could lend out your router for the one you've swapped. At least that will show if the router is at fault.

pops is got a good idea but if you cant find a router to replace it with you can open multiple command prompts and use ping -t. do one ping -t www.google.com and one ping -t 192.168.x.x (your default gateway or routers IP). If you get a response from your router but not google then it might not be the router but the internet connection itself. If you can ping the IP at your modem do that too.

My suggestion was to temporarily swap out with your friend's router - which should be available - for a day or so. The idea being to check if it is the router or the connection.

The big problem with intermittent faults lies in their intermittency. Sometimes ping tests, or whatever, may show nothing untoward.

Well either way chimetals you need to test the connection to find the fault. The only way to isolate the problem is to test while you are having the issue. It could be as simple as a little packet loss or as obscure as a collision on the line. While the ping test may not be a for sure method for determining this problem it most definitely will narrow down the issue somewhat. A ping can fail with different error messages giving you an idea of where the problem might lie. If it doesnt fail at all while you are getting disconnected then you can assume that the problem is probably not with the hardware. Now the fact that someone else is not having the same problem you are on the same network could point to the computer or cable being the issue, but its always good to start fresh. Changing routers and your cable will either eliminate the problem or show that these components are not the problem.

keep in mind we are not there where you are and we cannot really lend the help to fix this problem in a single step so...the best way to troubleshoot is to eliminate all possibilities 1 by 1 until we have a solution. If someone qualified was there when the problem was happening they could more than likely get to the bottom of it pretty quick. As you stated your internet is provided by your school. They should have a help desk of some kind and will probably be able to at least narrow down the issue to your end or theirs....faster than we probably can anyways.