works for me but not for him.

pawz7

don't suppose anyone will be able to help with this but worth an ask.

A friend brought a floppy round today with an old Win 98 era utility on there that he needs to use. He told me that it would not open on his Windows Seven machine and that it gave the message that the version of the file is not compatible with the version of Windows he is running, however, it ran fine on mine. Both machines are 32 bit Windows 7. I copied the .exe back on to a flash drive, he took that home and ran that from his desktop - but with the same result.

Hmm, don't get it.

The file is called SU16PFRS.exe. I have looked on the web to see if there might be a later version but found nothing. it is some sort of finance profiler is all he could tell me about it. Just a small program, no libraries or runtimes involved I wouldn't have thought, just 36kb.

Any ideas folks?

probably the latter. He phoned this a.m. to confirm he is running 64bit OS, and then tried the .exe on his wife's 32 bit machine, and it ran, so that settles that - though I do have a question. His wife does not have a floppy drive on her laptop ( I know that 'cos I recently changed the hard drive on it for her and posted on here about the risk of losing the capability to restore from a hidden partition in that situation), so I am guessing he either used an external floppy or copied it to her machine from the flash drive I lent him yesterday.

My question is... what is it that enables some ( but clearly not all) 32bit applications to run on 64bit OS's? I suppose it must require them to have a proper setup/install files, and I understand that drivers are key - but this little utility was all of 38kb and just a standalone.exe.