Help!

aimee-mary

I have a dell laptop running windows 7 and it started to basically freeze and I couldn't close any programmes or shut it down properly.

So, I forced shut it down and then when I came to start it up again it wouldn't load windows.

It comes up with the dell start up screen and then goes to a black screen with a white flashing line in the top left corner, and the only thing I can do it go to the set up menu Or press ctrl alt dlt which just starts the whole process all over again!

Does anybody know how to fix this? And if so, will I loose files? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :)

Turn on the Dell laptop.

Repeatedly start tapping the F8 key on the keyboard. If the F8 doesn't work for some reason, you will need to restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F5 key until the screen changes.

Look at the screen that loads. You will see different options. Use the down arrow to highlight "Safe Mode," press enter on the keyboard or enter the number on the keyboard that is associated with the safe mode option. That number will be on the left side of the list.

Allow the computer to boot in safe mode. The screen will look different from what you are used to seeing.

I've managed to get the laptop working again, i tried all the suggestions that i had from numerous people to try and save some of my documents but I ended up eventually reinstalling windows 7 (when it decided to work) because nothing else was working.

So now I'm pretty sure I've lost all of my files. Is there any way for me to get them back at all? Thankyou for all of your help!

I've managed to get the laptop working again, I ended up eventually reinstalling windows 7 ....

So now I'm pretty sure I've lost all of my files. Is there any way for me to get them back at all?

:unsure:

I would suspect that your gut instinct is dependable.

However, if data was stored on a sparate partition (other than Windows' drive), the chances of recovery are greatly incresed. One may be able to recover the data anyway if it hasn't been overwritten by the fresh install.

One would need a drive as a repository for the data to be extracted to. The capacity of the drive would depend on the quantity of data.