Driver Question after Windows installation

Okay so recently my computer started acting funny. I'm missing files, can't get things to work right because missing other files, ect. So I've decided I want to re-install Vista. (I know, forget Vista and get 7 but no money for that haha). I do not have a windows cd but I can get one easily. My question is after I re-install Vista, how hard is it necessarily to either install or update the drivers?

I know this is a noob question, but I ask because it's a laptop. Things I'm not familiar with like the touchpad mouse driver, ect. I'm afraid of re-installing windows and basically just the screen and keyboard work.

Thank you in advance.

Laptops have much dedicated software for their special bits of hardware (touchpads etc.) and you really do need the original software for that particular machine.

Assuming the machine was not supplied with a disk of the operating system and drivers, is there no recovery partition on the hard drive?

Computers supplied without an O/S disk normally have instructions for making a recovery disk of your own in case of hard drive failure.

Laptops have much dedicated software for their special bits of hardware (touchpads etc.) and you really do need the original software for that particular machine.

Assuming the machine was not supplied with a disk of the operating system and drivers, is there no recovery partition on the hard drive?

Computers supplied without an O/S disk normally have instructions for making a recovery disk of your own in case of hard drive failure.

I was actually astonished because actually, the laptop didn't come with anything. No cd of any sort, no recovery partition, nothing. Just windows installed and that's that. So that's why I'm nervous/scared of re-installing windows. I definitely need to as now my internet notification has disappeared and I cannot find it. Every day it's something new haha. But I've searched the forums and found 3 programs that will 1-update your drivers and 2-back them up for you. So was thinking that I'd just back them up and re-install windows, then install the drivers from either a cd that I make before I install windows or external hd. But wasn't and still am not sure if either method will work. Like will the cd drive still work without a driver, or at least the right driver? Will I be able to use the touchpad? Will any usb port work? Not sure. Can operate a laptop without a mouse or touchpad, just use the keyboard to navigate. But it's to that point where it's I have to re-install Windows and not sure if it'll either fix it or completely ruin it.

But all I've found online and asked a few people, they all say Windows has become more...driver friendly. If you install Windows, yeah, things may not work right because you don't have the right driver but things will still work. So then you go and install the correct driver. So I guess if I get courageous, I'll do it this week.

And so everyone knows, I can't do a system restore. I do have restore points saved but when I try (Trust me, restore points was my first choice), gives some error that I forget and then deletes that restore point. I can't fix errors because it leads to more errors. Like I say, system is beyond fixing. Only way is to completely wipe everything and start all over.

Easiest thing to do is just to make a note of the important devices you have, e.g. display adapter and network adapter. Once you know these, it's very easy to find the latest drivers.

But do step back one step and reflect: do you really need to reinstall Windows - wouldn't a repair install also fix all your problems? As long as your system is not infected with malware, a repair install will almost fix any problems, without losing installed programs, drivers, etc.

P.S. before you decide on a complete reinstall, make sure you extract your Windows product key!

Easiest thing to do is just to make a note of the important devices you have, e.g. display adapter and network adapter. Once you know these, it's very easy to find the latest drivers.

But do step back one step and reflect: do you really need to reinstall Windows - wouldn't a repair install also fix all your problems? As long as your system is not infected with malware, a repair install will almost fix any problems, without losing installed programs, drivers, etc.

P.S. before you decide on a complete reinstall, make sure you extract your Windows product key!

That's one thing I was wondering. I'm not sure if I have anything on my laptop like malware or whatnot but am gonna try the less risky ways first. Like first was anti virus scans and it didn't detect anything. Then system restore, that wouldn't work. Then only thing I know of next would be repair install. If that messes up or computer still acts funny, then wipe everything and cross the fingers. My only doubt about the repair install is missing files. Like can't open Microsoft Visual because missing a file, can't fix that due to missing another file of something else. I can't uninstall it to re-install it because missing a file. Those aren't exactly Windows problems, it's program problems. So in my mind (which I do hope I'm wrong cause it'd be easier), the repair install wouldn't exactly fix that. Maybe it will, I'll find out in about 12-13 hours hopefully.

And that's the only saving grace about this laptop, the windows product key? Is on the bottom of the laptop. Lol. That little green tag that usually is inside/on the Windows case is on the bottom of my laptop. So even if I wipe it, all I gotta do it turn it upside down for a second, and can easily re-install windows. Lol.

So after everything I'm hearing, am thinking about just trying the repair install when I get off work. See how that does for a day or two. Then if it's fixed, sweet. If not, smack it a few times to get the anger out that I'll have in the future with the drivers and start the complete reinstall. Only thing is gotta download Windows. As stated earlier, I don't have the disc or a recovery cd or whatnot so do gotta find it on the net and download it, then burn it on a disc. (Crosses fingers all of that still works).