Data error (cyclic redundancy check) - external hard drive

I think I have a corrupted external hard drive. When I connect my 1Tb external hard drive I firstly get the message "You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it." I don't want to format it because I will lose my data so I chose "Cancel" and not "Format disk".

Then I get the message "E:\ is not accessible" and "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)"

If I right click on the E drive and go to properties I have the option to check the disk which I did, but it did nothing and did not seem to check the disk.

The strange thing is when I connect the hard drive to my TV I can access and play all the music and video files on there.

So it seems the drive is operational but I cant seem to access or fix it.

I am running on Windows 7 professional 64 bit. I also have an XP laptop that does the same.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks

A quick format will prevent access to data on the disk. A full format will destroy data on the disk. Do not do either of these things.

There is data recovery software such as Recuva http://www.piriform.com/recuva but I'm not sure how it will work with CRC errors. You can get pay-for software or have it professionally recovered but the costs rise geometrically with the chances of success.

I managed to get a copy of Recuva but this doesnt seem to correct the CRC error.

The strange thing is I have no trouble opening the files on my TV?? I use this external HD to play media on my home theatre system and it works exactly how it has always done. I only have the problem when I connect it to my laptops. I have now tried 3 laptops, 2 with windows 7 and one with XP and all cannot read the HD.

I have right clicked on the drive then went to properties and then tools. Here I clicked on check disk and whichever of the two options I choose the window just disappears and nothing happens.

I have not tried to do chkdsk in the DOS screen yet but will try later.

Just to clarify I should be typing in chkdsk E: /F - E would be my drive letter and F for fix or R for repair?

OK. Tried CHKDSK on my XP os laptop and got the message "cannot open volume for direct access". I then tried CHKDSK on my Windows 7 os laptop and got the message "the file system is raw"

I have seen some posts on other forums about getting data from RAW drives using programs but dont want to dive in without getting some advice

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem like digler's.

After have connected my External to my laptop, I watched some photos in the external, and I got out. When I came back, the laptop is slow down, the system is seemed out of accessible. Then my external got problem like digler said above. And Window 7 in my laptop is missed too. I have re-installed window for my laptop. But I do not want to format the external because it contains whole my data. Do any one has a better solution than format it ??

I've read a same topic that the victim still see his media files when connect his external with his Tivi, but not with his laptop or desktop. Who can explain this ??

Thank you very much

The only times I have ever had this happen with external drives it has turned out to be the internal electronics of the drive enclosure itself. (admittedly cheap enclosures, - but that doesn't mean to say it couldn't happen with a good brand enclosure.) Changing the enclosure and then running CHKDSK repair to clear errors or bad sectors has got things up-and-running again.

As Pops has already said: Do not format, defrag, or go messing with the file system in any way. If you can run a Linux live distro such as Parted Magic and get the drive mounted, have another external drive ready and get the files off quick.

I cant explain why the T.V. sees the files, and the computers don't. I had an old Windows ME computer once running FAT32 that would read unreadable external drives. I never worked that one out either ! Thinking about it even now does my head in. :wacko:

My armchair reasoning/theory for this file corruption (to RAW) happening is that the internal case electronics do something to the file system of the HDD which is similar to doing what we have always been told not to do. I.E.- Pull the USB lead out without properly dismounting it whilst it is either reading or writing. - Just my theory.

Ideally mount the suspect drive directly into a desktop computer. (ATA or SATA whichever is applicable to the particular drive.) This cuts out any doubts about faulty USB hardware or software components. (Cuts out the middle man.)

Good luck peoples. :)

John.

• 4 weeks later...

Good day everyone,

Just opened an account on this forum.

I got the same problem with my Iomega 1TB external drive.

I use a desktop with XP and a laptop with Windows 7.

Drive works well on my Samsung TV but my XP ask to reformat and my Windows 7 sends

a cyclic redundancy error message.

I must say that for 6 months, everything was working well and suddendly, with no warnings,

the drive became unreadable by my two computers.

I am continuing to search for a solution....