Hello Windows Forum!

I took a quick look through a few pages of discussions but could not find anything similar to the problem I am currently having. As a quick intro, I'm a professional photographer. I edit in either Lightroom or Photoshop while either listening to music or watching movies on my 2nd screen. I know watching movies while working sounds counter-productive but once you hit 1am that small distraction helps me keep on working into the wee hours!

What is happening?

My music player will either glitch or crash completely as I do work. I originally thought it was because I was running Winamp (for a blast back to 1999!), but I just installed J River Music Jukebox which can't even get one song playing. The problem seems completely restricted to music players, I can run a HD movie on my 2nd screen through VLC as I edit in Lightroom. I can also stream music online or have Chrome open while I work to no detrimental effect. Before upgrading to a SSD system drive I ran iTunes, which took around 15 minutes to boot, if at all (compared to a complete movie package in Premiere which takes around 2 minutes) It seems strange that 3 totally separate music players misbehave in the same way. I might also mention that when I edit video in Premiere Pro, I have no issues with sound, which may rule out hardware as an issue.

I work on a pretty decent desktop which I built a couple of years ago and recently upgraded with a SSD system drive. It seems crazy to me that it can't handle a simple music player. All my music is stored on one of the internal data drives, not on the SSD, but I don't think that should cause any problems.

A quick list of specs:

- 6Gb of DDR3 RAM 1600

- i7 930 Intel quad-core

- ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series (2GB graphics)

- 120GB SSD System Drive (all critical software installed here)

- 5TB internal Western Digital Green HDD (working data & backup drives)

My soundcard is built into the Gigabyte motherboard. Under "Device Manager" it lists: "ATI HDMI Audio" and "Realtek HD Audio" under "Sound, video and game controllers"

I'm really quite baffled; it has been getting progressively worse to the point where I can't seem to get any player to give me more than half a song before crashing.

Any advice to this very 1st World Problem would be very much appreciated!

Cheers!

John

All my music is stored on one of the internal data drives, not on the SSD, but I don't think that should cause any problems.

Hi, John.

A simple way to eliminate the possibility of this data transfer from a data drive being the issue would be to transfer a few songs to the system drive and play the music from within.

A couple of things come to mind:

1) The data drive may have some corrupt blocks. (Has this drive been analyzed and/or defragged lately?)

2) The sound card(s) driver(s) has become courrupt. Possible fix would be to uninstall the driver(s) via Device Manager and reboot the machine. If the driver software has been deleted as well; have the sound card driver ready to reinstall once the machine has rebooted.

3) There are issues with the data transfer cable(s). Try unhooking the cables and reconnecting (making sure there are good connections).

4) Update to the latest firmware for the SSD. Maybe a problem with the controller drivers....

Hope you get it worked out, John. Come on back as there may be other suggestions offered by this illustrious crew of ruffians. :lol:

:welcomewf:

:hi:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey bludgard!

You were right, the HDD had some corrupt blocks in it. I found this out when it crashed completely last week (hahaha!). It has been subsequently removed and my stability issues have dissipated. Lucky for me the drive only contained music and an Atari ISO of Robotron 2084. I have all my music on my tablet so it is just a matter of copying it all back onto my computer rather than ripping all those CD's again. Thanks again for your response, it is much appreciated.

Cheers!

John