explorer questions

oldtee

New bee here. Patience requested.

Windows 7

new HP console type

I have noticed an increase in system freezes when visiting some web sites. For instance I go into Huffingtonpost and sometimes when I open one of the panes (sub topics) the system freezes. I cannot close the topic, the site, and the sliders don't work.

When I do a 'cntl alt del' the task says it is running.

I have more or less traced it to explorer. Pretty sure it is explorer 8. May have to do with pop ups or just poor web site design.

I am a novice. Help is appreciated.

JL

My system is up to date with the latest software releases to windows, including ie9.

Incidently, this site locked up. I am probably wrong, but it may have something to do with the popup blocker At the moment it is off.

I have a Dell lap top that I am trying to trouble shoot. It has the same problem. I wonder if I am alone or are othes having problems with explorer. I paid for extended Dell support only to find out I had to buy a Windows OS disk (one did not come with the computer) so they can reload windows. They spent hours with me and ran every free repair program known to man (I suspect) only to come up empty. No viruses, no problems, just a lot of time.

You are a moderator, thus a knowledgable person and advice I get from experts is to use Chrome or Fire something which is not good advice for novice users who depend on ms products and support and keep systems up to date. I would love to solve this problem once and for all.

My problems started on both systems after the last Windows updates. The lap top had been on the shelf for two months and took a lot of updating and at first I thought that was the trouble but then it started on this system, a HP which is only 3 months old.

I ramble, sorry.'

JAL

I should have updated the situation yesterday. To make a long story short, problem went away with the installation of Explorer 8. Which websites is unimportant, it would happen with any site, even this one.

Dell gets a minus so far. Lap top still has issues but I am able to browse with Chrome. Also they charged me twice for the Windows disk. :(

HP gets a plus. Tower is up and running well.

Why should I care if a Web site uses flash? It is their job to deliver content that works.