Java uninstallation and installation failure after virus found

I'm running Windows XP SP3, with all the latest updates for Windows.

Recently an Avira Free antivirus scan had these results:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\59\10b513bb-7e0be406

[0] Archive type: ZIP

--> App.class

[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the JAVA/Paladin.A Java virus

--> Ballau.class

[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the JAVA/Agent.MY Java virus

--> Burrow.class

[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the JAVA/Paladin.B Java virus

--> Robonuka.class

[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the JAVA/Capsy.A Java virus

--> Str.class

[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the JAVA/Dldr.Agent.AQ Java virus

Following the recommendation, I moved the file to Quarantine. I also submitted this file to Avira as a possible false positive. They replied:

Please find a detailed report concerning each individual sample below:

Filename

Result

META-INF/MANIFEST.MF

CLEAN

The file 'META-INF/MANIFEST.MF' has been determined to be 'CLEAN'. Our analysts did not discover any malicious content.

Filename

Result

App.class

MALWARE

The file 'App.class' has been determined to be 'MALWARE'. Our analysts named the threat JAVA/Paladin.A. The term "JAVA/" denotes a virulent Java-Applet or–Application. Detection is added to our virus definition file (VDF) starting with version 7.11.45.232.

Filename

Result

Ballau.class

MALWARE

The file 'Ballau.class' has been determined to be 'MALWARE'. Our analysts named the threat JAVA/Agent.MY. The term "JAVA/" denotes a virulent Java-Applet or–Application. Detection is added to our virus definition file (VDF) starting with version 7.11.45.232.

Filename

Result

Burrow.class

MALWARE

The file 'Burrow.class' has been determined to be 'MALWARE'. Our analysts named the threat JAVA/Paladin.B. The term "JAVA/" denotes a virulent Java-Applet or–Application. Detection is added to our virus definition file (VDF) starting with version 7.11.45.232.

Filename

Result

Parasno.class

MALWARE

The file 'Parasno.class' has been determined to be 'MALWARE'. Our analysts named the threat Java/Jogek.DQ. The term "JAVA/" denotes a virulent Java-Applet or–Application. Detection will be added to our virus definition file (VDF) with one of the next updates.

Filename

Result

Robonuka.class

MALWARE

The file 'Robonuka.class' has been determined to be 'MALWARE'. Our analysts named the threat JAVA/Capsy.A. The term "JAVA/" denotes a virulent Java-Applet or–Application. Detection is added to our virus definition file (VDF) starting with version 7.11.45.232.

Filename

Result

Str.class

MALWARE

The file 'Str.class' has been determined to be 'MALWARE'. Our analysts named the threat JAVA/Dldr.Agent.AQ. The term "JAVA/" denotes a virulent Java-Applet or–Application. Detection is added to our virus definition file (VDF) starting with version 7.11.45.232.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to install the new Java 7 Update 9, and downloaded the file JavaSetup7u9.exe from the Java website, but didn't install yet. First in Add or Remove Programs, I attempted to uninstall Java 7 Update 7. The Windows installer opened and the progress bar went through the usual process ("Please wait while Windows configures Java"), but then a separate window "Add or Remove Programs" popped up saying:

"Fatal error during installation."

Java 7 Update 7 was still listed in the Add or Remove Programs list.

I tried installing the new Java 7 Update 9, and the Java Setup window worked for awhile, until the final message:

"Installation Failed

The wizard was interrupted before Java 7 Update 9 could be completely

installed. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again."

At this point I tried installing again, with same results.

I returned to the Java website and downloaded the offline version: jre-7u9-windows-i586.exe

I tried this and Java also failed to install.

I thought something might be wrong with the Windows installer, so went to Microsoft site, and downloaded the latest installer WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe, ran it, and rebooted.

I tried uninstalling Java 7 Update 7 again, but failed again. Same failed results with trying to install Java 7 Update 9.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks. I downloaded JavaRA, updated it and ran it, then tried to remove the current installation. I got the message:

"The Windows Installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed..."

Looks like running the latest Windows Installer attempt didn't work. What now?