Can't Download Zipped File with IE 8

johnoo

Hi there.

Reset IE8 to default settings and try the download again.

Here is how:>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.tech-reci...fault-settings/

If that doesn't work, turn off in sequence any malware blocking / anti-virus / firewall devices that may be acting in a browser specific capacity. (SpywareBlaster etc.)

If problem still occurs, reinstall IE8

John.

If you talk of the "IE8 Favorites Bar" - No it will not delete that or your favourite bookmarks from it.

If it is a third party piece of software, - contained within a toolbar - Yes it possibly could.

.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.

As with everything else in computing - Do make a backup of your favourites from time-to-time

In IE8 go to: File / Import and Export / Export to a file / tick the box that says "Favorites" / choose where you want to store your backup / Export / Finish.

Do this on a regular basis and you will never loose your Favourites, or what is on your IE8 favorites bar.

Do it now !!

Importing favorites is just a reverse procedure.

.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.

As a thought. Is the problem with just one individual zipped file, or all zipped files downloaded through IE8 ?

Can you try to download other zipped files with IE8 and see the results before you go any further please ?

John.

John,

I do make regular Backups of my Favorites list by the method you state, but I was concerned about losing the "Favorites Bar". But you have reassured me on this.

Regarding your point of downloading another Zipped file, I have never done this before so don't know whether it's just this particular file.

Any ideas where I can find another Zipped file to carry out the test you suggest?

Thanks & regards

Interesting, the first site APE.file, downloads but get message "Windows can't open - needs to know Program that created it"

2nd example downloaded & after extracting after extracting can open files.

The site I am having trouble with is this one:-

[font=times new roman, times, serif

]http://transparency.dh.gov.uk/2012/06/29/rtt-data-2012-13/

The file within that's causing the problem is "Waiting Times by Hospital Trust (September 2012)"

Perhaps the powers that be don't want me to see the statistics!

At least you have managed to download the file anyway. :)

For note it works OK with Fire Fox

In this case I wouldn't worry about it too much. Probably just a one-off. You're not the first to be stitched up by the NHS.

Files appearing to have downloaded that little bit too fast can end up as being corrupted.

Hey Ho ! - All's well that ends well.

Glad you got the problem sorted.

John.