New HDD and power problem.

My chum had a problem with his desktop model not wanting to boot. This was immediately preceded by his wife unplugging the machine, not knowing that it was doing a download of something or other. He asked if I would have a peke inside and see what was "up".

Initially I thought the BIOS might have been the problem, but resetting did not alter things. So I wondered if the CPU had failed. I thought Ebay might produce a cheap second hand one for experimenting, so I ordered one.

Whilst awaiting delivery I swapped his HDD with usable one of mine (with a Molex connection) just to see what would happen. It fired up quite happily.

So the answer was obvious.

The new HDD arrived from CCL in todays post (with a molex convertor) and I gleefully installed it (and the convertor). All that happened was the DVD player light just flashed, once, and the CPU fan rotated, for less than a second, and then all went quiet.

So I replaced the new HDD with my old one, as before, and hey presto, life again.

So, kindly souls, I am looking for clues...please.

I am loathe to think it might be the obvious.

Does the new HDD function in any other machine?

I don't know, pops. I have not tried it ...yet.

I am still puzzled as to why the CPU fan does not work.

For tomorrow's excitement I shall to put this new drive into my spare machine and give it a chance to show it's self.

I was also thinking of putting my spare HDD back into my chums box along with the new one and trying booting up off my spare HDD. I couild then see if the new one was recognised at all.

It is beginning to look like a fault with the power pack. Apparently it has had an intermittent problem with for some time. Concidering the amount of carpet and navel fluff that had to be removed from inside the box (it lived under a desk in a bedroom) it may well have been dry roasted.