Copy all three OSs onto a new hard drive.

Hello current I have a macbook pro and am splitting the hard drive between osX, windows, and ubuntu. My 500gb hard drive has been out of space for a while (have to delete stuff every time I want to install something new) and so I bought a new 1tb hard drive. (One of those hybrid sdd with 8 gb sdd inside if it matters.)

So anyway how can I keep all three of my os's without starting over? (But each partition needs to be bigger.) I know mac has a good backup and I think that should work, but I am not sure about the entire process. I am guessing I would need to install osx then bootcamp (and windows) and the ubunut onto the bootcamp partition? And is there a way to backup ubuntu to a hard drive and restore it? I know windows has some sort of backup but isn't that just for restore points?

Or is there a better way entirely?

I have an idea on how it will all work, but I really want to make sure I am not missing something (as my data is important to me) and am not 100% sure if this is the best way to go about it.

Thanks so much for your time!

Cloning the 500 GB to the 1 TB drive would be the way I would go. That would leave a (roughly) 500 GB unallocated space on the 1 TB. One could use the space for storage or whatever. There is also an option - after cloning the drive - to use a tool to move the partition(s) about and resize it/them in the process.

Parted Magic would have the tools to accomplish your goal. I am sure there are many ways to get to Rome; who wants to go there these days?

Edit: Removed pic as it appeared to be spammish....

The word is Spanish ! - Not Spammish ! (Darn Goofballs drifting all around the internet, mutter, darn, curse. :lol: )

And you are quite right to remove the picture - (Re: "I am sure there are many ways to get to Rome")

In "Rome" of course, they speak "Eyetalian" not "Spammish" :rolleyes:

.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=..=.=.

Nice job of the copy and paste firesoul453. You may just think about removing the formatting next time you make a post to a forum. :)

(I'm so wound up about that sort of thing, I could crush a grape. But I must admit, - I am a man on the edge. :vibrate: )

Our little jokes aside firesoul, follow bludgards advice he is a good man.

Just wait to see what he can do with a crochet or knitting pattern next month.

17,782 Members, - and still rising.

Cloning the 500 GB to the 1 TB drive would be the way I would go. That would leave a (roughly) 500 GB unallocated space on the 1 TB. One could use the space for storage or whatever. There is also an option - after cloning the drive - to use a tool to move the partition(s) about and resize it/them in the process.

Parted Magic would have the tools to accomplish your goal. I am sure there are many ways to get to Rome; who wants to go there these days?

Thanks for your reply! I never really thought to much about doing something like that. I'll definitely look into it.

Nice job of the copy and paste firesoul453. You may just think about removing the formatting next time you make a post to a forum. :)

(I'm so wound up about that sort of thing, I could crush a grape. But I must admit, - I am a man on the edge. :vibrate: )

Our little jokes aside firesoul, follow bludgards advice he is a good man.

Just wait to see what he can do with a crochet or knitting pattern next month.

17,782 Members, - and still rising.

Sorry about that. I posted on a linux forum first but no one answered. Then I posted on an apple forum and they all seemed to think that if I needed more than one os (osX), I must be doing life wrong lol.

Thanks. I appreciate your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...