Set up network

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, but I am having immense problems trying to set up a network using my router to share, transfer & stream files between computers and Android tablets.

Searching the internet has had me going round in circles, with the most common answer being to enable file sharing on the devices & that will magically make everything work. It hasn't!

I'll start with the devices I have already tried, then add the devices I would also like to add:

Thomson 858 router (supplied by ISP)

Desktop PC, Windows Vista Home Premium connected via ethernet

Toshiba Sat Pro Laptop, Windows XP Pro connected via wifi

Samsung Galaxy 2 Tablet, Android, connected via wifi

On each device I have enabled file sharing. Between the Vista & XP machines, I have been able to get the XP to show in Network, but when I click on it I get a "not accesible" error message in the pic I hope will upload. post-24738-0-72459600-1368226756_thumb.j

I can't see any sign of the Vista machine on the XP.

When I share files on the Tablet, again it will show in Vista, but when clicked on opens Windows Media Player and only shows what should be on the Vista machine. Again on the Tablet, I can't find the Vista device to share with.

They the devices I have tried. The other devices include:

HP laptop, Windows 7 Home, to connect via wifi

Samsung Netbook, Windows XP Pro, via wifi

2 x Generic Android tablets, via wifi

2 x HTC Andriod phones (not essential but would be nice)

Hoping someone will be able to advise & save my sanity. Thanks for reading & will apereciate any help! B)

Thanks for your reply ɹəuəllıʍ ʇɐb.

I don't know the answer to your question to be honest.

The most I have been able to work out it that I should be able to view and move files between my computers simply by enabling file sharing on each machine, which doing so hasn't done anything.

Someone suggested a Firewall issue, but here's the reply I gave on another forum about it:

Tried again with Firewalls reset.

Enabled file share on the HP laptop, Vista desktop and XP laptop, then went to share my entire folder on each machine that contains sub files pictures, music, videos etc.

Ran the Network Set Up Wizard on the XP machine. Was prompted to call the network the same as the router calls the internet connection (ISPname + some numbers) and then save the configuration to a flash drive to configure the other machines.

On the Vista desktop it showed both Win 7 and XP laptops. When I clicked on the XP machine I was still getting the same "not accessible" message. The Win 7 machine didn't show it.

The XP machine, even after 2 hours still showed nothing in Network places, and still showed nothing after a reboot.

The Vista desktop allowed me into the Win 7 machine & I could stream and move files between the two. So that initially seemed promising, but a later test to move a 5GB folder from the Win 7 machine to the Vista, using the Vista gave me a speed of around 365kb/s on the N router with a speed of 65mb/s.

The Win 7 machine will show the Vista and allow me me access to the files but won't allow me to view, open or move anything.

I'm more confused than ever!

There are many very well known problems networking Vista, 7 and XP.

Try these guides to help you: - http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9019179/Teach_XP_and_Vista_to_play_nice_on_networks

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15247/complete-guide-to-networking-windows-7-with-xp-and-vista/

If that doesn't quite fit the bill, there are many more workarounds to be found on Google.

One pageful being:...........................

https://www.google.com/search?q=problems+networking+vista+and+xp&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=TGKVUeeXHemn0QWHroC4CQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=1278&bih=600