Win7 device manager finds USB HDD, but file manager doesn't

I have Windows 7 64 bits on a new Lenovo Thinkpad E530 laptop (previously I had Windows 8 with the exact same problem). I connect an external hard disk drive via a SATA-USB interface. The hdd was previously the primary disk in a PC and also has a Windows 7 64 bits installation. I need to copy a few files from it.

The device manager finds the disk drive and says that the device is working properly and that the latest driver is installed. But I have no access to it in the file manager. Even in the command prompt I cannot do "cd D:" but then get the reply that the drive is not ready.

Device manager / Ext Hard Disk properties / Volume says that its status is "Not Initialized".

Would it help to "initialize" the disk?

How do I do it?

Would an "initialization" remove the content of the disk?

Is there another way?

Thank you for any advice!

Best regards to you all

Manager or Explorer, I have no idea what MS calls it primitive and mostly failed file handler tool nowadays.

The problem is that I haven't found any way to access files on the USB drive. But sure, I just assumed that the second disk after C: would be D: But I'll try other letters on Monday. Like E: or Q:. That's a thought worth testing.

But why cannot any Windows GUI tool manage any files on the disk, neither in Win8 nor Win7? Normally when I connect a USB drive it shows up with a letter as a unit in the "My Computer" screen. This one doesn't.