HP Laserjet 4500 Printer Drivers

Hi

I have an old HP Laserjet 4500 printer. I have drivers which work in Windows 7, but when I try to install them in Windows 8.1 they do not show up. They come via a C-Net download which unzips them into a folder c:\lj651, and from there installs them. When I look in lj651 I see three folders called win9x_me, win2000_xp, and winnt40 and in each of these there are a list of files, mainly .dll's. As I said, the install worked in 7, but when I try to install the printer in 8.1 it's not in the driver list.

I guess that either the drivers are not valid for 8.1, or they have been copied to the wrong place.

This printer is old and the size of a bus, but it's print quality is excellent and it prints 2 sided, and best of all I have lots of ink for it.

Any help would be appreciated.

This seems to be for connecting a USB printer. The HP Laserjet 4500 is an old office printer which connects via old fasioned printer leads. In order to get it on the network I have to connect is to a Linksys print server. I connect to this by saying it is a local printer and creating a new port for it. At a late point in this process I have to assign the driver from Windows print driver repositry, wherever this is. I wasn't going to go into so much detail, but I have a document which may help if anyone wants to go that far.

What I need is for the driver to be there when I have to select it during the add printer wizard. Any idea how I can get it there.

If it is required at a later point, how do I attach a document to a post.

The link I gave was supposed to be for the printer model number you stated. If that wasn't suitable, I think the next stage would be to contact HP direct.

Regarding attachments to posts, this can be done through the reply box when it is opened.

• 4 years later...