Windows 8: Accidentally cleared personal info from my tiles

digicat

I accidentally cleared the personal info from my Tiles:

Charms --> Settings --> Tiles --> Clear personal info from my tiles.

Now I have several problems: I can't change back to Live Tiles, etc.

I've searched internet, but nowhere do I find instructions to undo this, to go back to the Original settings.

My eternal gratitude to the person who can help me solve this.

I just found something which might help:

Because Live Tiles on Start screen can potentially display private, adult or confidential content, it might be necessary to disable their active previews.

To do that, right-click or flick (touch and drag down a little) the required app and click Turn live tile off in App bar or in popup menu.

win8.livetiles02.jpgw81u1.startscreenpopup04.jpg

As usual, you can always re-enable active content by right-clicking the app and using the Turn live tile on command.

Hallo Irene

That's just the problem:after accidentally hitting "Clear personal info from my tiles" in the Charms Bar, the option "Turn Live Tile on" doesn't appear any more when I right click a tile!

I'm looking for a way to reset that. So far, no one has come up with a solution :-(

Just found something else:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5255-apps-turn-live-tiles-off-windows-8-a.html

The following is included in the link...

Tip:

If the "Turn live tile on" or "Turn live tile off" option is missing, then double check to make sure that the Windows Time service is enabled, and that your system time is set accurately and synced.

You could also do this by opening an elevated command prompt, then typing the commands below and press Enter after each one.

net start w32time

w32tm /resync

Afterwards, see if you have the "Turn live tile on/off" option.

More information in the link. ;)

How do I enable the "Windows Time service" as suggested in the Tip?

Typing commands in the elevated command prompt scares me off!

Is there no way to do this in the Windows Graphical Interface? By just clicking a button somewhere?

I just can't understand how you can disable a function by just clicking a button, but then have to do all sorts of complicated actions to go back to the Original settings :ranting:

Here are some instructions:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/12411-services-start-stop-disable-windows-8-a.html

IF IN ANY DOUBT, DO NOT PROCEED. ASK FOR ASSISTANCE FROM A LOCAL EXPERT.

Please note the warning in the link...

Warning

It is highly recommended that you create a restore point before making changes to the services. This way if you make a mistake that cripples your computer, you will be able to do a System Restore using the restore point to undo the changes.

If you disabled the wrong service and lost access to the computer, then try booting into Safe Mode to change the service back.

Also, please read through the instructions carefully before begining. Might be a good idea to print them off for reference.

Hi Irene

Thanks for all the trouble you took to advise me on this annoying matter.

I did read the warning, so I dare not continue :unsure:

Wise move, digicat. If I find any less 'dangerous' method, I'll post back. ;)

• 8 months later...