Transferrng file from Vista HD to Windows 7 HD

cinque8

I am asking these questions since the behavior you are reporting is certainly not normal. For example, I have an external hard drive which I can connect to 7, Vista or XP with exactly same effect.

Just to make things clear - it does not (or at least should not) matter, how you put the files on that hard drive (from Vista, XP, or OSX for that matter). As long as the file system format is compatible with Windows 7 (i.e. FAT32 or NTFS mostly) the hard drive should be recognized and you should be able to read/copy/manage the files on it, unless the permissions on the NTFS file system are set in a wrong way.

So, my advice is as follows: connect your hard drive to Windows 7, make sure that the OS recognizes the drive and that there is no conflict of any kind (check the device manager, make sure the driver is in order and there is no yellow "unknown device" icon there); check that the drive appears properly in Explorer and the right-click on it, go to security properties and make sure you (as the current user) has sufficient permissions for the drive. Try creating, deleting, or moving files. If this works, then it should also work with your file transfer.

If something does not work and you are the only user of your system (i.e. security is not a concern) try changing the ownership of the drive and all files and folders there to Everyone or just give Everyone full control. This should effectively remove any permissions issues.

As I understand the question, it regards transferring programs from Vista to W7. If that is the case, then it is all but impossible. Not only do programs get updated to run with later versions of Windows, when installed they are scattered over various sections of a hard dive and thus irretrievable in a useful form.

I make it a rule always to keep a copy of all programs I use either on their original disk or on a memory stick (together with their product key) to permit me to transfer to a new device if that is possible. Freebie programs can usually just be downloaded afresh - and thus are up to date

Microsoft is known for not permitting multiple downloads of their software and even installing a single extra copy of a MS program can incur their wrath. Other firms are often not so strict.

So, if you have Microsoft programs you want to transfer, check carefully the legal implications of doing so. They won't come knocking on your door but they may stop the program working successfully. Other paid for programs may be transferable by a fresh download and use of the current product key but this is sometimes not the case if it has been drastically updated.

Always remember: for every program you have paid for, it is pretty certain that there is a similar free one available. Be careful, though, as to which free programs you using - take advice before downloading and (especially) installing and be careful about the source - there are some collections of programs specifically intended for the unwary.